Technical Director (Packaged Materials) - Atlanta, GA
at Oldcastle APG Inc
Posted in Entertainment/Gaming/Casino 3 months ago.
This job brought to you by eQuest
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Job ID: 100808
Oldcastle Architectural Products (APG) is North America’s leading manufacturer and supplier of concrete masonry, dry mix, and hardscape products. Additional strong national positions are also found in packaged lawn and garden products. The business produces and markets brands you know such as Belgard® hardscapes and Sakrete® cement mixes. With over $2B in sales, APG operates across 33 states and 6 Canadian provinces through a network of over 165 operating locations and more than 5,000 employees.
The Technical Director is responsible for all technical aspects of all packaged products to include Sakrete, Amerimix and other Oldcastle products. The Director will oversee the activities of the National Sakrete and Amerimix Lab in White Marsh, MD and the Color Lab in Charlotte, NC. The Director works closely with all licensees making Sakrete and Amerimix products. The primary responsibility is to provide assistance as needed to anyone involved with the production, sales, marketing or testing of products.
Duties and responsibilities of the National Lab
- Responsible for formula accuracy at all plants and record keeping
- Develop and maintain formulas that will produce quality products at the most efficient cost
- Maintain and monitor SharePoint QC data base for all participating companies
- Write Quality Control Procedures for all products
- Oversee SONA quarterly testing program
- Establish specifications for all products
- Evaluate competitor products
- Assist licensee labs with formulas and testing as requested
- Coordinate testing for contract packaging / private label products.
- Coordinate testing of bagged products made by Oldcastle companies but not under the Sakrete or Amerimix logo, i.e. EnduraMax, B-Dry, Magna Wall and Suremix.
- Assist product managers as needed
- Coordinate independent testing of Amerimix products
- Assist plants with line studies to determine consistency of products
- Evaluate raw materials
- Assist plants with trial runs of any new products
- Maintain SDS for all Sakrete and AMX products
- Maintain Tech Data Sheets
- Look for opportunities to lower costs by optimizing formulas.
- Conduct yearly formula verifications. Test products to assure that they meet specs
- Develop formulas for existing products at new manufacturing plants.
- Train sales personnel on new products
- Train plant QC personnel
- Assist with customer related complaints
- Perform full tests on all blacktop products for all regions.
- Coordinate with all Blacktop producers
- Thorough understanding of the chemistry and physical property requirements of the type of products made in the bagged cement, concrete and mortar industry.
- Basic understanding of the mixing and bagging equipment used in the industry.
- Familiarity with ASTM specifications that govern bagged concretes, mortars and portland cement repair products.
- Bachelor’s Degree in chemistry, concrete industry management, or other technical / related field required
- Equivalent work experience considered with 10 plus years’ experience across increasingly complex operational responsibilities
- Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources
- Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective procurement, manufacture and distribution of goods
- Lead and manage both through direct reports and persuasively through peers
- Knowledge of procurement requests for proposal and negotiation
- Knowledge of Excel and other MS office systems
- Travel 30% to 40% to Maryland and NC offices as well as licensee’s facilities
What Oldcastle Offers You
- A culture that values opportunity for growth, development, and internal promotion
- Highly competitive base pay
- Comprehensive medical, dental and disability benefits programs
- Group retirement savings program
- Health and wellness programs
Oldcastle has a long and proud heritage as one of North America’s largest corporations. We are a proud reflection of the hundreds of family businesses, local and regional companies and mid to large sized enterprises that together form the Oldcastle family. Oldcastle operates with a decentralized, diversified structure, letting you work in a small company environment while having the career opportunities of a large enterprise.
Oldcastle is a great place to grow! If you’re up for a rewarding challenge, we invite you to take the first step and apply today! Please complete your online application and profile which will be sent directly to the appropriate Hiring Manager. Thank you for your interest in the Oldcastle family!
Follow Oldcastle Careers on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Google+, Pinterest, WordPress (Career Blog) and LinkedIn!
Oldcastle Architectural is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer.
EOE/Vet/Disability--If you want to know more, please click on this link.
Oldcastle Architectural is part of the Oldcastlecareers™ network.
Signup for an account
to get information on applying for a job.