Posted in Broadcasting about 1 month ago.
This job brought to you by America's Job Exchange
Type: Full Time
Location: Austin, Texas
SUMMARY OF JOB
Research and write accurate, timely, balanced, comprehensive, fair and unbiased news, news feature and feature stories on a deadline basis for the Spanish-language publication and website(s). Generate compelling, practical story ideas and write comprehensive articles that reflect the Spanish-speaking community. Develop and maintain sources that provide current and highly reliable information for publication. Work cooperatively with colleagues, reporters, photographers and designers to produce visuals that accompany stories, generate audio, video and images to go with stories, and ensure stories are accurately translated to the alternate language (English/Spanish) as needed. Works scheduled shifts that may include days, nights, weekends and holidays. This reporter must also produce and edit photographs and video, edit copy, write headlines, cutlines and other display text. The reporter must also generate and promote content for social media outlets, as needed.
Works with staff of the Spanish-language weekly to develop and sustain coverage that improves the quality of the newspaper and meets the company s goal of being the premiere source of news and information in the region. Assumes other responsibilities as identified by Editor. Represents the Statesman in the community and the profession. The reporter s published product should be of value to readers, improve the quality of the newspaper and meet the company s goal of being the premiere source of news and information in the region. Must have transportation and a valid driver's license.QUALIFICATIONS
The ideal reporter should possess:
* A college degree or equivalent in journalism or related field.
* Experience as a reporter, copy editor, photographer or videographer. This may include experience gained through school publications and internships.
* A strong understanding of craft. Should understand the fundamentals and ethics of journalism, have a good eye for news and feature stories and have demonstrated ability to report and write news and feature stories.
* Should have the ability to establish relationships and get along with sources, peers and supervisors.
* Must be reliable and trustworthy.
* Should be curious, open to varying points of view, observant, persistent, quick, accurate and balanced.
* Should be able to think visually.
* Should be well-read and have a social conscience.
* Must be fully bilingual, able to converse and write clearly and professionally both in English and Spanish.
* Must be able to synthesize information to write accurate, timely, interesting, balanced and well-structured stories on a daily, deadline basis.
* Must possess good writing, spelling, organizational and communication skills. Must be able to gather information using a wide range of techniques, including face-to-face interviews, telephone conversations, email messaging, internet research and standard hard-copy record searches.
* Should have the ability to solve fundamental problems, including percentages.
* Plus: Some supervisory management skills are an advantage.
* Plus: Knowledge of Texas, Central Texas, Austin and Latino communities and cultures is an advantage.
Cox Media Group is an integrated broadcasting, publishing, direct marketing and digital media company that includes the national advertising rep firms of CoxReps. Additionally, CMG owns Cox Target Media, which operates Valpak, one of North America's leading direct marketing companies, and Savings.com, a leading online source for savings.
The company's operations currently include 14 broadcast television stations and one local cable channel, 57 radio stations, eight daily newspapers and more than a dozen non-daily publications, and more than 100 digital services.
CMG currently operates in more than 30 media markets and reaches approximately 52 million Americans weekly, including more than 32 million TV viewers, more than 4 million print and online newspaper readers, and 14 million radio listeners.
For more information about Cox Media Group, please check us out online at www.coxmedia.com
ORGANIZATION: Cox Media Group
PRIMARY LOCATION: US-TX-Austin-305 S Congress Ave
EMPLOYEE STATUS: Regular
JOB LEVEL: Individual Contributor
SHIFT: Day Job
UNPOSTING DATE: Ongoing