Mechanical Design Engineer II
at N.S. International
Posted in Architecture 4 months ago.
This job brought to you by eQuest
Location: Troy, Michigan
Nippon Seiki is a world-class manufacturer of instruments for vehicles, agricultural, and construction equipment. Established in 1945, Nippon Seiki Co., Ltd. is headquartered in Japan, in 26 facilities worldwide. N.S. International, Ltd. ("NSI"), a group company of Nippon Seiki, located in Troy, MI, is a tier one supplier of instrument clusters and head-up display units for FCA US, General Motors, BMW, Honda, Harley Davidson, Suzuki, Polaris, Arctic Cat and other OEM's.
Reviews and understands customer requirements, specifications and manufacturing constraints in order to create comprehensive engineering product design development, specifications, drawings and related engineering changes utilizing and applying Engineering Principles, research data, and Engineering Standards (DES). Analyzes test data, performs root-cause analysis, prepares 5-Phase / 5-Why analysis reports as needed. Prepares Engineering reports, Technical Presentation material, and deliver Engineering Presentations to internal and external customers as required.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Maintains a thorough familiarity with NSI’s Instrument Cluster Designs, and Design Engineering Standards (DES).
- Supports the Lead Engineer in the Design and Development of Instrument Cluster / Head-up Display (HUD), creation of 3D Models and 2D drawings including GD&T for all structural components considering DFM / DFA factors, cost, material & component specifications, and other Design factors. Ensures compliance with TS 16949 requirements.
- Performs Engineering calculations, Stack-up Analysis to ensure the Design deliverables conform to the standards and specifications.
- Interfaces with customer to further understand design requirements during the design specification / Styling development phase and during product development phase. Compiles Specification Confirmation Reports prior to the development.
- Adheres to the Design & Development Schedules as established by the Manager / Lead Engineer and ensures the Design Development related deliverables are met on time. In the event of unexpected delays, works with the Manager / Lead Engineer to develop contingency plans to meet the original development schedule.
- Conducts CAE Analysis in Structural, Thermal and Dynamic Analysis using FEA Software – ABAQUS or Similar Software.
- Conducts Optical Design and Simulation using Light Simulation Software – OPTIS.
- Assists in the development of Conceptual Design, Bill of Materials (BOM), Design Feasibility studies for the RFQ response and Technical Presentation.
- Assists in the Prototype development during the build trials.
- Assists in the testing & evaluation of IPC / HUD Products as required.
- Responsible for the development of DFMEA, DVP, DOE plans, Failure Analysis / 5-Phase Report creation.
- Assists Manufacturing Plants, Quality teams in resolving technical, manufacturing, quality issues.
- Participates in-vehicle checks at customer location during pre-production phases to:
- Evaluate the design integrity of NSI Products
- Identify design flaws or issues and compile summary report of all the findings
- Performs benchmark analysis, attends trade shows (NAIAS) and compiles market trend analysis of IPC / HUD Products.
- Prepares technical documents in support of the Quality Gate Assessment meetings with Parent Company in Japan. Communicates and consults with parent company when project issues arise to find alternative design solutions and obtain additional information.
- Continual Improvement and Communication:
- Participates in Seminars and Training for continual improvement
- Ensures accurate meeting minutes are recorded and tracked for all customer related meetings
- May perform other duties as assigned.
Formal Education and certification:
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering; Master’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering preferred; Course work or Specialization in Strength of Materials, Design for Six Sigma, Statics & Dynamics, SQC, CAD / CAE, Optics principles, Materials, Plastics, Injection Molding, Manufacturing Principles
Knowledge and experience:
- 2~ 4 years of automotive design & development experience.
- Knowledge of automotive, structures, plastics or optics required.
- GD&T and Stack-up Analysis Knowledge required.
- Proficiency in all MS Office software.
- Communicates well both verbally and in writing, creates accurate, and on-time reports and has good listening skills. Ability to clearly express ideas and concepts in written and verbal form.
- Ability to deal with peers and customers (internal & external) in straightforward and honest manner, is accountable for actions, maintains confidentiality, supports Design department and Company values; Conveys information in a transparent manner.
- Proven ability to pay attention to design details and is committed to achieving design quality standards as set in design project goals.
- Shows commitment to achieving customer (internal and external) satisfaction, takes ownership of the design issues, works with other Lead Engineers/ Peers to address any unresolved design issues pertaining to customers.
- Demonstrates good listening skills, builds relationships, and has a flexible approach working with peers across diverse background. Promotes a team atmosphere.
- Clearly understands department mission, values and job duties and responsibilities, has necessary technical skills, and seeks training to keep job knowledge current.
- CAD Knowledge – CATIA preferred.
- FEA analysis knowledge especially Vibration, Thermal, Linear / Non-linear Analysis preferred.
- Optical design experience; OPTIS - Light Simulation Software Package preferred.
- Adaptation/Flexibility: Includes keeping an open mind regarding new ideas and ways of doing things. Willing to consider alternative interpretations or ways of looking at the situation. Demonstrating flexibility.
- Initiative/ Results Driven: Includes setting high standards of performance for self and others. Striving to accomplish goals even if it means personal sacrifice. Putting the goals of the organization above own goals.
- Judgment/ Decision Making: Includes making decisions and takes actions that have beneficial impact. Effectively evaluating information in order to come up with sound conclusions and recommendations.
- Resource Management: Includes setting clear objectives to guide action for self or others to accomplish goals. Organizing or adjusting information, people and materials to meet those goals.
- Team work: Includes encouraging and supporting the ideas and effort of others. Finding ways to help the team or group perform effectively.
Travel: Ability to travel 20%, international and domestic
Availability: Monday-Friday, Normal Business Hours. Off-hours as needed.
The above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
N.S. International, Ltd. is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
See Job Description
Signup for an account
to get information on applying for a job.