Applications "Perl" Developer
at Springer Science & Business Media LLC
Posted in Software 5 months ago.
This job brought to you by eQuest
Location: New York, New York
Springer Nature is a leading global research, educational and professional publisher, home to an array of respected and trusted brands providing quality content through a range of innovative products and services.
Springer Nature is the world’s largest academic book publisher, publisher of the world’s highest impact journals and a pioneer in the field of open research. The company numbers almost 13,000 staff in over 50 countries and has a turnover of approximately EUR 1.5 billion. Springer Nature was formed in 2015 through the merger of Nature Publishing Group, Palgrave Macmillan, Macmillan Education and Springer Science+Business Media
We offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes:
- Medical, Dental and Vision
- Life and AD&D
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Transit Accounts
- Tuition Assistance
- Summer Hours
The Applications Developer role will be responsible for supporting projects that involve the development, implementation and deployment of applications to Springer Nature. This will also involve support of new and existing applications that are internally developed or externally sourced from third parties.
The successful candidate will have prior application development / programming experience, including web-based applications and documentation. Ideally he/she will also have knowledge of the full software development lifecycle.
- Software systems development, conversion, implementation and maintenance for the Manuscript Tracking system.
- Developing and maintaining applications for various other company-wide systems and projects.
Creation of technical and user documentation.
- Creation and maintenance of databases for project work.
- Advise, recommend and specify improvements to systems and technologies.
- Able to use technical / job knowledge and experience, incorporating functional skills and broad based business knowledge, to meet and exceed job requirements / customer expectations. Remain up-to-date and disciplined, able to generate and present high-quality, relevant and usable job-related information. Efficiently manage workload and projects within set timelines and to agreed budget, achieving set objectives. Assimilate and apply new job-related information in a timely manner.
- Produce consistent results both professionally and personally. Use initiative and a proactive approach with drive to make a contribution. Focus on achieving positive results contributing to team goals and the overall success of the business.
- Embrace creativity, innovation and open to new ideas. Innovate to improve current working practices / products / technologies to provide business opportunities and results. Proactively pursue opportunities to drive change that add value to the business. Welcome new challenges, and contribute views and ideas. Adapt well to, and is energized by change whilst maintaining focus on key business goals and personal objectives. Take action to achieve favorable outcomes for the organization, beyond minimum performance expectations, and seek opportunities to improve work procedures.
- Understand the needs and direction of the business in context of market opportunities, threats and overall business/departmental objectives. Anticipate and develop individual/team/business priorities to meet these. Embrace change and drive to improve current working practices / products/technologies to grow the business.
- Other related duties as needed
- Bachelor’s degree with a minimum of 5 to 8 years 3 years’ experience in Platform support role preferably within publishing or media industry
- Experience of Tracking Systems, STM publishing and language skills are desirable, but not essential.
- Minimum 5-8 years of professional experience in online Application Development with specific focus on:
- Perl/OO Perl development
- Experience with object oriented coding
- Experience researching, developing and applying new technologies and methodologies
- Apache/Mod_Perl, UNIX/Linux
- Web frameworks: Catalyst, Mojolicious
- ORM: Working experience with DBIx::Class, Class::DBI, Rose::DB::Object
- Knowledge of SQL, working experience with MSSQL 2005
- Using and creating web services (SOAP, REST, etc) with past experience with developing reusable components
- Working practice with XML/JSON
- Scripting knowledge (Unix Shell, Perl)
- Knowledge of CVS and Git (strong) Version Control Systems
- Design and documentation of code
- Excellent self-tasking and teamwork skills
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects simultaneously in a fast-paced environment
- Highly self-motivated and directed.
- Good analytical and problem-solving abilities.
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
- Ability to present ideas in business-friendly and user-friendly language.
- Very strong customer service orientation.
- Excellent written, oral, interpersonal and presentation skills.
- Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
Signup for an account
to get information on applying for a job.