Senior Quality Engineer at Space Systems/Loral, LLC
Posted in General Business 30+ days ago.
This job brought to you by eQuest
Location: Palo Alto, California
SSL is a leading provider of commercial satellites and spacecraft systems, with broad expertise to support satellite operators and innovative space related missions. \u0026nbsp;The company designs and manufactures spacecraft for services such as direct-to-home television, video content distribution, broadband internet, mobile communications, and Earth observation. \u0026nbsp;Based in the heart of the Silicon Valley, SSL's advanced product line also includes state-of-the art small satellites, and sophisticated robotics and automation solutions for remote operations. \u0026nbsp;A career with SSL could shape your future in ways that you've never imagined. \u0026nbsp;
Due to the nature of our business, SSL has export control and security sensitivities that require all of our employees to be a United States Citizen, Permanent Resident of the United States, an Asylee, or a Refugee. SSL is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
SSL's Quality Engineering Team is looking for a highly self-motivated senior engineer who can immediately come on board and make an impact. As part of the Quality Assurance team, you will work directly with skilled quality engineers in a collaborative working environment as we work to develop a NEW SSL Quality Engineering model designed to propel us into the future. You will be interfacing with all internal and external SSL customers, designing processes that ensure all their production and customer quality needs are met. We are looking for someone that can innovate and is not afraid of a challenge. You should be willing and open to collaborate in a team environment towards achieving a common goal. Come join our team during this exiting cultural transition we call \"Destination New Space.\"
This Senior Quality Engineer would ensure the quality of SSL products through the application of standard QA practices and adherence to the SSL quality system and product development process. The ideal candidate will possess Bachelor's Degree in Electrical (preferred) or Mechanical Engineering or Science-related field. Typical responsibilities for this position would include: Plan and coordinate quality programs and activities to ensure the quality and reliability of SSL products. Assure the timely, accurate evaluation of product performance and compliance to safety and regulatory requirements prior to manufacturing. Develop, execute and/or monitor quality plans and quality engineering tasks, as well as, manufacturing process validations and controls to ensure compliance with established requirements and regulatory expectations. Provide support for released products, evaluate product performance and reliability, recommend corrective actions, and plan for continuous improvements, as assigned.
* Represent Quality in product development teams/projects. Work with QA Manager and Quality Engineers to develop & execute plans (quality plan, risk management plan) and requirements (safety, functionality, regulatory, usability) to ensure provisions for quality are addressed and resolved prior to release.
* Coordinate with the development of deliverables including, but not limited to product performance analysis on similar products, essential requirements checklist, design verification, design validation, design reviews, phase reviews, and product release authorization for distribution of product.
* Plan, manage and deliver on medium (6-8 mos) systems size improvement projects to larger (8-16 mos) product line improvement projects.
* Write and develop formal business documents.
* Work closely with QA Manager, Jr Quality Engineers and Product Development to develop appropriate verifications, validations (manufacturing process), and qualifications (subsystem), for both new design and changes to released product.
* Review design inputs (specifications) and design outputs (reports, prints, etc.) to assure that appropriate design requirements are specified and to evaluate/confirm quality requirements prior to build).
* Take proactive steps to ensure non-conformities do not occur.
* Employ process and system analysis to determine how to build safeguards and process changes to prevent nonconformities.
* Use failure mode analysis to identify risks and potential deficiencies and set priorities for improvement.
* Review, approve and develop (as needed) product verification plans and respective test methods.
* Support validation efforts of approved testing to assure compliance.
* Create, review, and approve engineering change requests.
* Facilitate Material Review Boards (MRBs) to review and disposition nonconformities.
* Work with Manufacturing to coordinate, and monitor production processes to ensure compliance to ISO 9001:2008 and AS9100:2009, and other applicable regulatory requirements and to ensure that safe and effective products are produced.
* Provide quality assurance support by applying manufacturing quality tools including, but not limited to: DMAIC, FMEA, DFMEA, PFMEA, control plans, process verification/validation plans, Cp, Cpk, Pp and Ppk as statistical measures of process quality.
* Participate in quality investigations, failure analysis of returned products, and issues resulting in a stop production condition or end item return; document findings, and provide reports and analysis.
* Compile and institute quality metrics to present at Working Corrective Action Board meetings to trend, recommend, and implement corrective actions and appropriate follow-up, when necessary.
This position is part of Core Engineering. Core Engineering members have the opportunity to rotate through various engineering positions, providing them with the chance to take on and explore a specific role before potentially rotating to another role, and allowing them to apply their progressively evolving skill set on new engineering disciplines. The goal of this voluntary rotation program is to provide individuals with experience in portions of design, production, manufacturing, quality,and test, so they can gain a sense of different positions prior to settling on a specific area for specialization.
Minimum Education and Experience:
1. Bachelor of Science Degree in Electrical or Mechanical Engineering, Statistics or science-related field
2.5 to 7 years Quality Engineering experience in technical related industry
3. Six-Sigma Blackbelt Certification preferred
4. Ability to lead brainstorming efforts
5. Advanced use of PC software such as Excel, PowerPoint and Microsoft Word, Visio, MS Project
a. Basic to advance programming skills a plus
6. Required Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
a. Ability to read, analyze, and interpret technical procedures and governmental regulations.
b. Ability to write technical reports, business correspondence, technical procedures, as well as, administrative procedures.
c. Ability to present proposals, data, and issues to SSL personnel at all levels.
d. Ability to independently determine and develop an approach to a wide range of issues and problems. Solutions must be thorough, practical, consistent with organization objectives, and supported by measurable statistics whenever possible
e. Ability to represent the department in frequent cross-functional interactions and possible customer, subcontractor, or vendor contacts.
f. Ability to provide solutions to difficult technical issues associated with specific projects.
g. Ability to determine and develop technical solutions to a wide range of difficult problems.
1. Experience in aerospace industry a plus
2. ASQ Certification for Quality Engineering a plus.
3. Knowledge of ISO 9001 and AS9100 and other recognized international quality system standards.
4. Knowledge of world class quality techniques and implementation.
5. Guide the successful completion of major programs and have an ability to perform in a leadership role.
6. Experience in advanced software solutions, quality statistical analysis tools, database systems, website creation and development, MS SharePoint administration are all additional plusses. Please include other unique skills in resume
1. Ability to sit, stand, and/or walk for 8 hours/day.
2. Ability to lift units/assemblies up to 35lbs.