Senior IT Network Engineer at Metropolitan Water District Southern California
Posted in Telecommunications 30+ days ago.
Type: Full Time
Location: Los Angeles, California
The Metropolitan Water District of Southern California is a consortium of twenty six cities and water districts that provides drinking water to nearly 19 million people in Southern California. Metropolitan's mission is to provide its service area with adequate and reliable supplies of high quality water to meet current and future needs in an environmentally and economically responsible way. Metropolitan's facilities include the 242-mile Colorado River Aqueduct, five conventional water treatment plants with a combined capacity of 2.6 billion gallons per day, nine surface water reservoirs, 800 miles of pipeline, and 16 hydroelectric power plants.
SENIOR INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY NETWORK ENGINEER
The Business Technology Group, Information Technology Section, has (1) opening for a Senior Information Technology Network Engineer within the IT Infrastructure Services Unit located at Metropolitan's Headquarters in Los Angeles, California.
The Metropolitan Water District is in the process of upgrading its network infrastructure. The infrastructure is made up primarily of Cisco routers and switches, F5 load balancers, Palo Alto firewalls, and Tempered Networks for secure segmentation. This position will be responsible for designing, engineering, maintaining and supporting the network infrastructure, and securing it. The position also consults with business units to design and implement business network solutions.
1. Leads and performs inventory, monitoring and assessment of the condition of network communications hardware and software in preparation for capital improvement projects.
2. Leads, develops and updates network standards and policies.
3. Leads and performs network systems performance assessments, capacity planning and develops optimization strategies.
4. Leads and develops contingencies and strategies for minimizing network system interruptions.
5. Leads and designs network systems enterprise architecture integrating business processes, data, software, hardware, and network components.
6. Researches, evaluates, plans and designs the integration of new technologies and deploys pilot projects of new technologies.
7. Leads in the research and design of disaster recovery best practices. Executes disaster recovery plan for area of responsibility.
8. Acts as project manager; plans, coordinates, and conducts projects within area of responsibility, including monitoring scope, quality, budget and schedule.
9. Leads, plans, develops, implements and supports network security systems.
10. Leads and designs network systems infrastructure; installs, maintains, and supports upgrades and patches for the network systems.
11. Leads, designs, develops, plans, pilots, implements, and supports unified communications technologies.
12. Leads, designs, develops, plans, pilots, implements, and supports VOIP server systems, IP network, and Quality of Service (QOS).
13. Performs other related Information Technology Network Engineer job duties as required.
Work Schedule: 9/80, 7:00 am to 4:45 pm, Monday through Friday with alternate Fridays Off
Education and Experience: Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university in a related field and six years of relevant experience; or Master's degree from an accredited college or university in a related field and four years of relevant experience.
Relevant experience is defined as: working in IT Operations supporting a Cisco network infrastructure (at least 6 years with a Bachelor's, or 3 years with a Master's). Additionally, experience with Cisco routers and switches, Operations and network management, and QOS is required.
Required Knowledge of: Principles, practices, and procedures of Information Technology; network systems and applications; principles, practices, and procedures of network design, research and development, capacity planning, and quality of service; operational characteristics of network systems; word processing and spreadsheets; project management; and current office technology and equipment.
Required Skills and Abilities to: Lead and design network systems; provide support for network systems; tracks, monitors and troubleshoots network hardware and software; leads and performs network research and development; performs network configuration, optimization, installation, upgrades, and testing; analyze requests and provide customer assistance for solutions; maintain confidentiality for proprietary and personal information; use independent judgment and exercise discretion; problem solve; prioritize and multi-task; communicate clearly and concisely, both verbally and in writing; establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work; work independently and in a team environment; lead and train; and operate current office equipment including computers and supporting applications.
CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSES, AND REGISTRATION REQUIREMENTS
Valid California Class C Driver License or equivalent that allows you to drive in the course of your employment is required at the time of application.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS, WORK ENVIRONMENT, AND VISION REQUIREMENTS
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met or may be encountered by an employee to successfully perform the job duties of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the job duties.
Physical Demands: The work is sedentary. Typically, the employee may sit comfortably to do the work. However, there may be some walking; standing; bending; carrying of light items such as paper, books, or small parts; driving an automobile, etc. No special physical demands are required to perform the work.
Work Environment: The work environment involves everyday risks or discomforts that require normal safety precautions typical of such places as offices, meeting and training rooms, libraries, and residences or commercial vehicles, e.g., use of safe work practices with office equipment, avoidance of trips and falls, observance of fire regulations and traffic signals, etc. The work area is adequately lighted, heated, and ventilated.
Schedule: 9/80, 7:00 am - 4:45 pm, Monday through Friday with alternating Fridays off
JOB RELATED SELECTION CRITERIA
50% Technical knowledge/skills (Network Engineering concepts)
20% Job Preparation (education, experience, and training relevant to the position)
10% Oral Communication
10% Written Communication
* Competitive compensation
* Excellent medical, dental, life, vision
* Retirement plans, including pension plan and 401k
* Tuition reimbursement
* Training and advancement opportunities
* Excellent working environment
* Public transportation reimbursements and van pools
* On-site fitness center
* Hub of public transportation: Rail, subway, buses and taxis
For more information on MWD benefits, please use the following link: http://www.mwdh2o.com/PDF_Careers/benefits.pdf
This job announcement has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work being performed by employees in this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of . . . To apply for this position, please copy and paste the following link into your browser address bar: http://www.respondhr.com/58866661