Engineering Technician I (SCADA) at Metropolitan Water District Southern California
Posted in Engineering 30+ days ago.
Type: Full Time
Location: Los Angeles, California
The Metropolitan Water District of Southern California is a consortium of twenty-six cities and water districts that provides drinking water to nearly 19 million people in Southern California. Metropolitan's mission is to provide its service area with adequate and reliable supplies of high quality water to meet current and future needs in an environmentally and economically responsible way. Metropolitan's facilities include the 242-mile Colorado River Aqueduct, five conventional water treatment plants with a combined capacity of 2.6 billion gallons per day, nine surface water reservoirs, 800 miles of pipeline, and 16 hydroelectric power plants.
Our employees enjoy highly competitive salaries and excellent retirement, medical, dental, 401K, and other benefits (see our website).
ENGINEERING TECHNICIAN I (SCADA)
Metropolitan's Control System Applications Services Team within the Water Systems Operations Group has one (1) opening for an Engineering Technician I performing SCADA duties available at its Headquarters in Los Angeles, California.
JOB SUMMARY This is an entry level position performing Engineering Technician I job duties. In the position of Engineering Technician I you will have the opportunity to learn and assist in the daily support of Metropolitan's Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) system and the design and implementation of Automated Process Control (APC) applications for Metropolitan's filtration plants, conveyance and distribution system. This position will also learn and assist with SCADA database configuration, HMI development, and system startup support for capital improvement projects to enhance and expand Metropolitan's filtrations plants and distribution system in regard to SCADA related tasks and to ensure adherence to specifications.
You will also have the responsibilities to assist in the configuration, implementation and support of new SCADA hardware, remote terminal units (RTUs), programmable logic controllers (PLCs), network routers and switches, servers and operator workstations; assist with the preparation of APC documentation; learn and assist with investigations on water system process control problems and recommend solutions to process equipment issues; learn and assist with investigations and prepare reports in regard to APC operation and related issues; and learn and assist with the resolution of SCADA communication issues. Knowledge of and experience with SCADA, Industrial Control Systems, Linux and Windows Operating systems, Windows System Center, RTUs, PLCs, Networks, Oracle, and C/ C++, Function Block, Structured text and/or Ladder Logic programming is necessary to perform these duties.
This position will allow you to demonstrate and expand your overall SCADA knowledge as well as your knowledge of C, C++ and programmable logic controllers, Ladder Logic programming, control system engineering practices and standards, and real time process control programming.
1. Learns and assists with conducting analyses and investigations of technical issues and preparing reports.
2. Learns and assists in conducting technical studies, tests, inspections and research for area of responsibility.
3. Learns and assists to prepare estimates, plans, and specifications.
4. Learns and assists with developing and preparing presentations.
5. May serve on a project team.
6. Learns and assist to maintain databases within area of responsibility.
7. Learns and assists with updating standards, procedures, guidelines and manuals.
8. Performs other related Engineering Technician job duties as required.
1. Learns and assists with the evaluation, testing, installation, and upgrades of Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition system.
2. Learns and assists with performing development, support and maintenance of Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition system software and hardware, database, graphics, and applications.
3. Learns and assists with real-time Automatic Process Control and Programmable Logic Controller development, support and maintenance.
4. Learns and assists with reviewing and implementing Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition change requests.
5. Learns and assists with Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition system administration, security, and network support and maintenance.
Education and Experience: High school diploma or High School Equivalency Certificate, AND two years of accredited college or university in engineering AND two years of relevant experience.
Relevant experience is defined as: Two years of combined experience in one or more of the following areas, SCADA, Industrial Control Systems, Linux and Windows Server Operating systems, Windows System Center, RTUs, PLCs, Networks, Oracle, C/ C++, Function Block and/or Ladder Logic programming.
General Required Knowledge of: Arithmetic, algebra, geometry, trigonometry; design principles; technical research, analysis and report preparation; and current office equipment and technology.
General Required Skills and Abilities to: Perform calculations; read plans, specifications and drawings; use current office equipment and technology; problem solve; prioritize and multi-task; communicate clearly and concisely, both verbally and in writing; establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work; work independently and in a team environment; and operate current office equipment including computers and supporting applications.
CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSES, AND REGISTRATION REQUIREMENTS
Valid California Class C Driver License or equivalent that allows you to drive in the course of your employment is required at time of application
PHYSICAL DEMANDS, WORK ENVIRONMENT, AND VISION REQUIREMENTS
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met or may be encountered by an employee to successfully perform the job duties of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the job duties.
Physical Demands: The work requires some physical exertion such as long periods of standing; walking over rough, uneven, or rocky surfaces; recurring bending, crouching, stooping, stretching, reaching, or similar activities; recurring lifting of moderately heavy items such as personal computers and record boxes. The work may require specific, but common, physical characteristics and abilities such as above-average agility and dexterity.
Work Environment: The work environment involves high risks with exposure to potentially dangerous situations or unusual environmental stress that require a range of safety and other precautions, e.g., irritant chemicals, electrically energized equipment including high voltage systems, working at great heights under extreme outdoor weather conditions, or similar situations where conditions cannot be controlled.
Work Schedule: 9/80, Monday through Friday with alternating Fridays off
Job Related Selection Criteria
40% - Technical Skills & Knowledge such as:
* SCADA hardware and software
* Linux and Windows Server Operating systems
* HMI graphics development
* Oracle and SQL
* C/ C++, Function Block and/or Ladder Logic programming
* . . . To apply for this position, please copy and paste the following link into your browser address bar: http://www.respondhr.com/59046980