Senior Technical Writer at Illumina, Inc.
Posted in Art 30+ days ago.
This job brought to you by eQuest
Location: San Diego, California
Do you want to make a difference? Illumina’s mission is to improve human health by unlocking the power of the genome. If that inspires you, let’s talk. We’ve built a culture fueled by innovation, collaboration and openness, and established ourselves as the global leader in DNA sequencing and array-based technologies. Our people and our technology change lives by driving advancements in life sciences, oncology, reproductive health, agriculture and other emerging markets. Life at Illumina is about working with teammates who are deeply passionate about what we do, because we know that our work has the power to improve lives. We’re an established company with a track record of phenomenal growth. Just check out our investor events and presentations to learn about our financial accomplishments. Our growth isn’t just in financials, we’ve been busy hiring the best and the brightest. Perhaps that’s why MIT has ranked Illumina near the top of its World’s Smartest Companies each of the last three years. If you thrive in a brilliant, fast-paced, and mission-driven environment, Illumina is the place for you. Join the journey of a lifetime. Join Illumina.
The primary function of this position is to design, write, and update online help portals, context-sensitive help, documentation, and support web pages for our sequencing solutions portfolio. You will work alongside Research & Development, Customer Solutions, and Marketing.
As a Senior Technical Writer, you are a highly productive writer and a quick learner. You have an eye for detail and consistency, and exhibit unfailing attention to quality construction. Your strong technical skills and aptitude for organizing complex information enable you to pick up and apply new technologies, science, and standards rapidly and well.
You are dedicated to adding value, and understand the connection between product content, customer experience, and business success. Being part of a hard-working team that aspires to be the best in the industry engages your enthusiasm and commitment. You seek out opportunities to improve tools, deliverables, and processes, and show good judgment about when and how to drive change. Global thinking, consideration of downstream implications, and attention to sustainable infrastructure are part of your normal approach.
All About You
- Work with Software Development, Customer Solutions, and Marketing to plan, write, and edit technical documentation for a variety of scientific audiences including researchers, bioinformaticians, clinicians, physicians, and patients.
- Collect data by interviewing specialists, researching written material, attending training and demonstrations, using products, observing users, and consulting with technical support.
- Work efficiently and accurately in content management systems, adhering to best practices and departmental standards for terminology, content management, and reuse.
- Release finished documentation to Document Control, and maintain organized records of all materials, drafts, and previous versions.
- Demonstrate strong domain expertise in modern standards for technical writing, online help, content technology, and user experience. Quickly learn and apply new tools, processes, and standards. Be adaptable and forward thinking in the face of technological or organizational change.
- Propose technical improvements to authoring tools and work with technical leads to evaluate and implement.
- Initiate and drive projects to improve customer experience, efficiency, and sensible cost avoidance. Support similar initiatives driven by others on the team.
- Five to eight years of experience as a technical writer, preferably in industry (software, hardware, biotech).
- This position relies on effective engagement with many groups. The best candidate will quickly gain a reputation as a strong partner who intelligently gathers input from multiple stakeholders and deals effectively with ambiguous or missing information. Over time, your knowledge of the interdependencies between products enables you to see opportunities that others have missed.
- The job requires strong organizational skills and excellent time and project management.
- Must thrive in a fast-paced environment. All of our technical writers independently manage multiple projects from concept to publication under tight deadlines and changing conditions while also functioning as collaborative team members. Influencing across boundaries, finding win-win solutions, and responding to obstacles creatively and resourcefully are key characteristics.
- Sophisticated understanding of the principles and practices of tech writing, content management, and reuse is essential.
- Expert in MadCap Flare (or similar), Adobe Creative Suite, Adobe Acrobat, SnagIt (or similar), Microsoft Office, and web authoring tools. Knowledge of localization management, Adobe CQ/Experiment Manager, Confluence, and scripting languages is a plus.
- Proficient in English, attentive to industry-leading standards, and equipped with excellent grammatical and editorial skills.
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent. Scientific knowledge a plus.
- A degree in the life sciences is not necessary, but it is necessary to learn how to use the products, understand the science at a moderate level, and write appropriately for multiple audience levels.
Illumina believes that everyone has the ability to make an impact, and we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer committed to providing employment opportunity regardless of sex, race, creed, color, gender, religion, marital status, domestic partner status, age, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, sexual orientation, pregnancy, military or veteran status, citizenship status, and genetic information. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at 858-255-5081. To learn more, visit: https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf