Principal Data Architect at Harvard University
Posted in Other 28 days ago.
This job brought to you by Local Organization
Location: Boston, MassachusettsJob Description:
Duties & Responsibilities
Member of IT Leadership team, reporting to the Chief Information Officer, develop strategies for Enterprise Information Management. Design, construct and support infrastructure for modern data architecture, data processing and data integration. A core asset to be produced and maintained in partnership with HMS IT and Harvard University IT is our Data Integration Strategy.
Partner with Institutional Planning & Policy, Faculty Affairs, Program in Medical Education, Exec Administration leadership, Basic Science Administrators, IT Leadership Team, business unit stakeholders, and Harvard University IT to manage data governance, repositories, integration, and interfaces in order to achieve School goals. Leverage and partner with IT analysts and departmental unit technology resources to create a holistic approach to HMS Data Management. Bring together data from multiple sources (administrative, faculty, student, research administration) to better inform school-wide decision making.
Design effective role-based authorization standards and practices to ensure HMS data is secure and accessible to authorized parties throughout its lifecycle. Interface with IT technologists to define, implement and support the Data Infrastructure and Analytics at Harvard Medical School.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide leadership in defining and implementing data strategy and associated policies to ensure mature data infrastructure to support data visualization and data-driven decision making.
- Establish HMS data governance framework including data definitions, data standards, how data will be stored, accessed, integrated and managed by different data entities and IT systems, as well as the applications using or processing that data.
- Develop/build modern data management architecture, data flow diagrams, and data integration practices to strengthen data integrity and information access across the School.
- Analyze existing systems and related data to support initiatives, and ongoing system implementations.
- Evaluate new data sources for adherence to the School's data definitions and standards and for ease of integration.
- Oversight of data architecture activities including development of data-driven solutions and business analytics; building quality business solutions in a timely manner; and coordinating with business stakeholders, in conjunction with IT counterparts, to gather requirements, determine needs and project scope.
- In conjunction with principal users and data owners, participate in decision-making about data needed for integration and data warehousing.
- In support of cohesive role-based authorization practices, partner with HMS Information Security to create and implement policy regarding data governance, retention, and security. Participate in and oversee implementation of Identity and Access Management tools for data security in multiple systems, and ensure appropriate security is maintained throughout the data lifecycle.
- Other duties as assigned.
- This position will have a broad scope and high impact across HMS. Architectural decisions have a high impact on business outcomes, design and implementation of platforms and applications across the enterprise
Bachelor's degree in a technical discipline and/or 5-7 years related data management experience. Implementation experience with software or infrastructure solution.
Masters in Computer Science, Data Science or equivalent preferred. Expertise in Master Data Management (MDM), Business Intelligence (BI) and analytics and modern data management including data warehousing and data lakes. IT systems intergration, data integration, metadata, modeling, data profiling, stand-alone data qualifty, and Extract, Transform and Load (ETL) tools. Hands-on experience with various data sources ranging from warehouses to structured & unstructured data. Systems thinker with ability to see big-picture and understand how data/systems/solutions interact.
- Ability to comprehend and translate technical information and issues, and apply to business solutions.
- Remain current with expanding technology; recommend/implement solutions accordance to best practices.
- Manage multiple assigned tasks/projects with minimal supervision.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; ability to work with people of all levels of technical ability.
- Excellent time management, organization, and planning skills.
- Project management experience.
- Experience with Tableau preferred.
- Higher education experience preferred but not required.
- Demonstrated ability to learn new technologies
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by law.