Technical Art Director at Activision Publishing Inc
Posted in Art 30+ days ago.
This job brought to you by eQuest
Location: Carlsbad, California
We are building a culture of collaboration and are
seeking an imaginative, skillful, and versatile Technical Art Director to join our team in the San Diego area. If you share a
passion for developing groundbreaking worlds and player experiences, then this
may be the position you’ve been waiting for!
The Technical Art Director is the main
backbone to the Technical Art Department. This individual will spearhead the
- Coordinate the technical art
department, prioritize features, and work with the Art Director, Technical
Director, and Design director to achieve common goals across the departments.
- Oversee the day to day tasks of
the technical art team including scheduling, tools review, progress meetings,
and mentoring others.
- Primary source of communication
between the engineering and art creation teams.
- Take requests, prioritize, and
delegate work across the technical art department while maintaining a
consistent task list and priorities for the team.
- Proactively seek out
opportunities to communicate both formally and informally with the team to
build relationships, and identify possible pipeline issues.
- Design, develop, document, and
improve content pipelines.
- Seek out and fix performance
issues including, but not limited to: framerate issues, memory problems,
material errors, and collision issues.
- Constantly review the content
creation pipeline to identify and fix any possible pipeline or technology
deficiencies for the art department.
- Research and develop pipeline
and art systems within the game engine and 3rd party content packages.
- Analyze competitive products
and makes recommendations to senior management.
- Develop and document content
- Train the art team on best
practices, new tools, and pipeline changes across multiple projects.
- Be a positive and creative
force in the team.
- Mentor technical art team.
- Provide team performance
- 6+ Years of game industry
- Extensive PBR and HDR
- Minimum 2-year 2D/3D art,
design, or computer science degree, or equivalent experience with excellent
critique and vocabulary skills. Bachelors a plus.
- Shipped at least 3 AAA game titles.
- Ability to lead a team of four
or more Technical Artists with diverse backgrounds and skillsets.
- Strong working knowledge of
multiple 3D Packages (3Ds Max, Maya, Houdini, Photoshop).
- Strong scripting or programming
- Understanding of Object
- Shader development experience.
- Understanding of game rendering
- Understanding of modular game
- Strong understanding of methods
for optimizing game art assets for game engines.
- Up to date knowledge of current
art techniques and development processes.
- Strong technical proficiency in
understanding proprietary tools and technology.
- Extensive experience with at
least one discipline within the art pipeline (lighting, effects, environment,
- Ability to design, develop and
improve content pipelines, with experience developing user applications.
- Strong technical writing and
- Excellent communication,
interpersonal, organizational, collaboration, and conflict resolution skills.
- Ability to work well under
pressure and with deadlines.
- Positive attitude and a desire
to bring new ideas to the team.
- Competence in C# and C++.
- CS degree or Technical Art