Technician Field - Heavy Equipment at Nebraska Machinery Company
Posted in Automotive 30+ days ago.
This job brought to you by eQuest
Location: Lincoln, Nebraska
Company: NMC Group, Inc.
Title: Technician Field - Heavy Equipment
Location: Lincoln, NE
NMC has served customers with equipment and service solutions since 1938. Today, our company remains customer-focused by providing a comprehensive line of product sales, parts, rental and services vital to the construction, power generation, material handling, on-highway truck, agriculture and railroad industries. Whether it’s Caterpillar equipment or another leading equipment manufacturer, NMC continually forges new solutions to meet the changing needs of its customers. NMC continues to take pride in developing strong relationships with customers and our employees. These personal connections cultivate growth and success – and they are the strength of NMC. It is this strength which will move NMC into tomorrow.
This NMC Heavy Equipment Field Technician is responsible for repairing machines to the customer’s satisfaction in the field, shop or customer’s location. Removes, installs, repairs, disassembles, assembles, performs failure analysis of all equipment including engines, attachments, electrical systems, hydraulics, transmissions, power train, brakes, steering, and electronic and computer applications.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES
- Conducts necessary machine performance and diagnostic tests, interprets results and makes an independent decision as to the extent of machine repair.
- Inspects, diagnoses, troubleshoots, services and repairs customer machines in a field environment.
- References and interprets service manuals, diagnostic software and parts books to determine problems/malfunctions and to verify repair specifications and parts needed.
- Verifies warranty information for parts still under warranty and handles return of core and remanufactured parts.
- Performs failure analysis on all equipment including engines, electrical systems, hydraulics, transmission, power train, brakes, steering and electronic/computer applications.
- Uses troubleshooting methods to repair and diagnose machine and attachment failures and performs repairs according to time requirement guidelines (TRG) standards. Escalates unresolved issues to Technical Communicators for further research and assistance.
- Performs work in the field, shop, or at customer locations which can include overtime and overnight assignments.
- Repairs machines without error and consistently repairs machines within the time requirement guidelines.
- Repairs warranty and service letter issues efficiently and as soon as possible.
- Uses web based computer programs effectively to address technical issues. Performs all required tasks in accordance with outlined procedures.
- Conducts business professionally. Maintains self-control and integrity in stressful situations. Maintains a professional image.
- Adheres to all customer requirements while on job site.
- Orders parts required to complete repairs. Evaluates parts to determine reusability and cause of failure.
- Completes service reports, time entry, and all other paperwork and reporting on a laptop and submits them daily via e-mail.
- Communicates machine issues, problem resolution plan(s) and status of repair(s) to customer during repairs.
- Adheres to all customer care standards.
- Follows all NMC and customer-specific safety policies and procedures, including contamination control and HAZMAT rules and regulations. Uses equipment and materials properly. Attends safety meetings as required. Maintains tools in good working order as per MSHA and OSHA regulations.
- Participates in all job-related training and applicable development classes to maintain current knowledge base on machines serviced by NMC.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Additional Tasks/Secondary Job Functions, if applicable
- Reviews data retrieved during diagnostic steps to create a detailed, accurate and cost effective quotes and pricing estimates and parts orders. Coordinates creation of quotes with Service Writers.
- Maintains truck condition and cleanliness according to NMC standards. Performs basic maintenance monthly, regular inspections daily, DOT inspections annually and upkeep as needed to service truck. Maintains accurate parts inventory in service truck in compliance with guidelines. Replenishes parts as needed.
Education and Experience:
- High School diploma or equivalent required with 3 years of experience working in a similar role/industry and/or equivalent combination of education and experience required. OR Vocational training/Associate’s Degree in Applied Diesel Technology/Engine/Automotive/etc. preferred and 2 years of experience working in a similar role/industry and/or equivalent combination of education and experience preferred.
- Experience diagnosing and repairing internal combustion engines (2 & 4 stroke, LP, diesel).
- Experience with various types of systems and components (hydraulics, mechanical, pneumatic, power train, electronic, electrical, air and fuel systems, ac/dc electrical theory, etc.) on a large number of different kinds of equipment.
- Possess and maintain a valid Class A Commercial driver’s license with air brake experience.
- Experience operating a welding torch (electrical/gas) preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of and ability to regularly use: Hand wrenches, grease guns, hammers, impact tools, air tools, torque wrenches, screw drivers, basic measuring tools, overhead hoists, slings and chains, electrical testing equipment, hydraulic test equipment and numerous other specialized testing and adjusting equipment. Most often the employee must furnish the majority of the above tools.
- Knowledge of methods, materials, tools and techniques used in the repair of equipment.
- Ability to read and understand parts books, service manuals and electrical/hydraulic schematics.
- Ability to troubleshoot and diagnose machine issues and completely perform technical task at hand.
- Ability to meet and maintain company driving and DOT requirements.
- Ability to operate various pieces of equipment to ensure repair results in functioning machine.
- Ability to utilize proper bending, lifting, stooping, pushing, pulling, climbing, dismounting and three-points of contact techniques.
- Ability to exhibit sound and accurate judgments when making decisions.
- Ability to work independently.
- Ability to effectively influence actions and opinions of others.
- Ability to provide exceptional customer service to ensure high customer satisfaction and to respond to customer needs in a positive, supportive and timely manner to ensure maximum value for work performed.
- Ability to write meaningful and legible service reports and work orders.
- Ability to react well under pressure and manage difficult or emotional customer situations.
- Ability to act with professionalism and diplomacy when communicating with a customer/technician.
- Ability to maintain current product knowledge of all internal and competitive products.
- Ability to work overtime as needed.
- Ability to travel up to several hours a day to service machines at customer site - overnight stay required approximately 10% of the time.
- Skills in effective customer service and verbal, listening and written communication to consult with customers, understand issues and recommend solutions, including the ability to communicate technical information to nontechnical personnel.
- Basic PC skills required in Microsoft Word and Outlook.
- Skills to successfully work with various CAT software systems required to access service information and diagnose machine problems, including CAT ET, ABS, SIS, and TMI.
- Skills in problem solving, organization and effective time management.
- Skills in safety rig or hook for lifting and blocking parts, components, or machines and operating floor jacks.
NMC is an equal opportunity employer and affords equal opportunity to all applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information or membership in any class protected by applicable local, state or federal law.