Nonresident Alien Compliance Associate at Harvard University
Posted in Other 22 days ago.
This job brought to you by Local Organization
Location: Cambridge, MassachusettsJob Description:
Duties & Responsibilities
This role reviews and validates the U.S. resident alien or nonresident alien tax classification of foreign nationals paid by the University, and confirms their respective eligibilities for tax treaty benefits. Tasks include review and critical assessment of immigration documents, analysis of income types paid, determination of appropriate tax withholdings, research into Harvard payment records, and application of relevant IRS and immigration law regulations. This role provides customer service to both foreign nationals themselves as well as to their hosting departments. Finally, this role applies their tax determinations to data housed in the PeopleSoft, Oracle AP, and tax compliance systems.
The ability to research, interpret, and apply US tax/immigration law concepts to varied fact patterns is critical to success in this position. Provides guidance to Harvard departments on financial and tax policies that affect payments to foreign nationals. Collaborates with Central Payroll, Accounts Payable, Vendor Set-up, Harvard International Office, and Student Accounts Offices on tax compliance matters relating to foreign nationals. Periodically reaches out to various Harvard schools on financial policies and processes. Attention to detail, payment analysis, and the ability to input data accurately into Harvard's payment systems are essential. Comfort and facility with changing software and other technologies is also important. This role must also have sufficient interpersonal skills to interact constructively with people from a wide variety of countries and cultures in a customer service context. The ability to speak one or more languages in addition to English is an asset in this position.
Works daily as part of a customer service team assisting foreign nationals in determining their U.S.tax residency status. Certifies select tax treaty forms to be filed with the IRS, on behalf of the University. Maintains U. S. tax status data (in PeopleSoft, Oracle AP, and tax compliance system) as it pertains to foreign individuals who are paid by Harvard. Assists in annual IRS required processes such as generating year-end IRS Form 1042-S, tax treaty renewals, FICA tax updates, residency status updates. Responsible for administrative tasks, such as filing, faxing, answering phone calls, and participating in mailings. Acts as backup for other office functions as needed and performs related duties as required.
• College degree or comparable experience.
• Minimum of one year of financial and/or tax office support experience preferably in a customer service environment.
• Must either have a general understanding of 1042-S tax or immigration law or be willing and able to learn relevant material in the first few months on the job.
• Should have excellent organizational, communication, analytic, interpersonal, and writing skills.
• The ability to input and interpret data accurately into various tax and visa data fields in PeopleSoft and the vendor tax and visa data fields in Oracle AP systems are critical to success in this position.
• Proficiency in the use of desktop applications (Excel, Word, and Outlook at minimum) required.
• Knowledge of the University's financial policies and procedures a plus.
• Ability to speak one or more languages in addition to English is a plus
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by law.