Shop Mechanic - Day Shift at OMG Midwest, Inc
Posted in Automotive 30+ days ago.
This job brought to you by eQuest
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Job ID: 124625
Oldcastle Materials, Inc., a division of Oldcastle, is the leading vertically integrated supplier of aggregates, asphalt, ready mixed concrete, and construction and paving services in the United States. Our operations span the nation from Montana to Texas and from Washington to Florida, with 17,500 employees at more than 1,200 locations in 44 states.
Oldcastle Materials Group/Central Division
The Shop Mechanic will be responsible for performing all needed inspections and repairs on Trucks, On-Highway End Dump Trucks, Tractors and Trailers, and Heavy Construction Equipment in a safe, effective manner.
Key Responsibilities (Essential Duties and Functions)
- Analyzes malfunctions and repairs, rebuilds, and maintains equipment.
- Operates and inspects machines and equipment to diagnose defects.
- Dismantles and reassembles equipment, using hoists, as well as hand and power tools.
- Examines parts for damage or excessive wear, using micrometers and gauges.
- Replaces defective engines and subassemblies, such as transmissions, electric motors, drums, seals, hydraulic pumps, valves, pistons, rods, gears, crankshafts, cylinder blocks, etc.
- Tests overhauled equipment to ensure operating efficiency (must be able to operate all equipment).
- Welds broken parts and structural members.
- Directs workers engaged in cleaning parts and assisting with assembly and disassembly of equipment.
- Performs record keeping of time and parts used on the appropriate forms.
- Plans work procedures and/or possible solutions such as part redesign, substitution of material or parts and rearrangement of parts or subassemblies.
- Performs general cleaning of work areas and maintenance areas.
- Assists other maintenance department staff in performing the duties necessary to assure the efficiency of operations of vehicles.
- Regular and predictable attendance at assigned times is required.
- Other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
- Minimum of a high school diploma or general education degree (GED) required.
- 1-3 years heavy truck and equipment experience.
- Must be 18 years in age or older.
- Must pass pre-employment physical, drug screen and criminal background check.
- Strict adherence to safety requirements and procedures as outlined in the Employee Handbook.
- Willingness to work in a team environment and assist co-workers or supervisors with other duties as required.
- Must maintain current driver’s license that meets state requirements.
- Must be willing to travel and work away from home when required.
- Must be willing to work nights and weekends when necessary.
- Individuals are required to wear personal protective equipment (PPE) in designated operations and production areas as stated by OSHA and/or MSHA. Protective equipment that may be required, but not limited to, for this position is: Face Shield, Safety (hard toe) Shoes, and Coveralls.
- Compliance with all OSHA and/or MSHA regulations.
- Adhere to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations as set forth by the US DOT.
- Able to identify, define, and resolve problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions independently.
- Able to interpret an extensive variety of instructions in mathematical, written or oral form.
- Knowledge of hazards and safety precautions common to equipment operations.
- Ability to read, write and do basic mathematical calculations in order to keep time and material records.
- Ability to understand and follow verbal and written instructions.
- Ability to effectively communicate verbally and in writing.
- Ability to perform multiple tasks effectively with a focus on timeliness and responsiveness.
- Capable of utilizing the internet effectively for research, evaluation, and repair completion.
- Ability to operate various types of heavy equipment that may include but not limited to a Car and Truck.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Able to walk and stand; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; talk and hear.
- The ability use hands in order to handle or feel objects, tools, or controls.
- May require sitting for extended periods of time.
- Vision abilities (with correction) include close vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Able to climb ladders.
- Must be able to exert 10-20 lbs. constantly to move objects, 25-50 lbs. of force frequently, and 50-100 lbs. of force occasionally.
- Able to work in all weather conditions.
- While performing the duties of the job, the employee may be occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles and toxic or caustic chemicals.
- The employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts; high, precarious places; outside weather conditions; and risk of electrical shock or burn.
- The noise level in some areas of the work environment may be loud, but is typically moderate.
The statements included in this job description are not intended to be all-inclusive. They represent typical elements and criteria necessary to successfully perform the job. Other duties may be assigned as required. Requirements for this job are subject to modification by the Company and its designees, and reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
What Oldcastle Offers You
- A culture that values opportunity for growth, development and internal promotion
- Highly competitive base pay
- Comprehensive medical, dental and disability benefits programs
- Group retirement savings program
- Health and wellness programs
Oldcastle has a long and proud heritage as one of North America’s largest corporations. We are a proud reflection of the hundreds of family businesses, local and regional companies and mid to large sized enterprises that together form the Oldcastle family. Oldcastle operates with a decentralized, diversified structure, letting you work in a small company environment while having the career opportunities of a large enterprise.
Oldcastle is a great place to grow! If you’re up for a rewarding challenge, we invite you to take the first step and apply today! Please complete your online application and profile which will be sent directly to the appropriate Hiring Manager. Thank you for your interest in the Oldcastle family!
Oldcastle Materials is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer.
EOE/Vet/Disability--If you want to know more, please click on this link.
Oldcastle Materials is part of the Oldcastlecareers™ network.