Manager, System Engineering at Thales Avionics
Posted in Architecture 30+ days ago.
This job brought to you by eQuest
Location: Irvine, California
TOGETHER WE ENTERTAIN MORE THAN 750,000 PASSENGERS A DAY WHILE IN-FLIGHT
Thales InFlyt Experience products offer end-to-end solutions that support our customers before, during and after the flight. Thales supplies in-flight entertainment and connectivity experiences to more than 60 airlines around the globe and as a trusted airline partner is committed to building its position as an industry leader. We are proud that our InFlyt Experience systems are used by over 274 million passengers a year.
We are currently looking for a Manager of Systems Engineering based in Irvine, California. The Manager of Systems Engineering is responsible for all Systems Engineering activities in their segment or Competency Center, to include the development of complex avionics for In-Flight TV/IFE and Connectivity Systems and Services.
• Coordinates Systems Engineering team activities to define, model, document, integrate, and lead all TV/Connectivity or IFE in seat developments enabling the shipment of high quality reliable systems to the Airline customers and OEMs
• Maintains technical team System expertise in regards to all product lines related to TV Connectivity or IFE in seat systems, to include: Direct Broadcast Satellite TV, IP based TV, Satellite Connectivity (Ku, Ka, L, Air to Ground), Ground Connectivity infrastructure/ networks, In-Cabin networks, and entertainment systems.
• Ensures system specifications, block diagrams, system ICDs, and all relevant system documentation are released and updated for all products
• Managerial activities include: holding periodic staff meetings, staffing and allocation of proper skillsets and resources, mentoring of emergent leaders, definition of training and professional growth
• Technical leadership activities include: participation in product definition and development (with PLM, DA, CTO, and Solution level System Engineering), identification of risks and opportunities, escalation of critical issues and identification of required help, consolidation of lessons learned and capitalization
• Implements the adoption of new practices (e.g., SAFe, MBSE, Feature Modelling, etc), processes, and tools to optimize System activities and efficiencies
• Oversees the implementation of the team charter, roles/responsibilities, engagement with other teams, resource allocations, and requisite skillsets
• Ensures the Systems Engineers adhere to development standards (e.g., Chorus) and milestone reviews
• Ensures baselines are properly defined and coordinated across Product Lines and segments (TV-Connectivity-Ground Infrastructure) and budgeted and follow through the entire development cycle
• Capitalizes team lessons-learned, define and leads improvement plans
• Accountable for ensuring the cost effective re-use of system level building blocks, as well as consistent capture from the Solution level and flowdown of requirements to all subsystem levels. This ensures the solution has neither gaps nor overlaps, and addresses interfaces from the Solution level to the LRU or SW level, which contribute to costs of non-quality, as well as schedule delays, and failed FSATs
• Accountable for the definition of and adherence to Systems Engineering development NRE budgets, with the NRE on the order of $2.5MM to $5MM USD per year
• Works with Customer Project engineering leadership and members to ensure proper coordination and requirement capture of developments
• Participates in bids and customer sales campaigns as required, in coordination with Bids, Sales, CTO office, PDAs, and other Engineering disciplines.
Skills and Experience:
• Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or similar degree is required
• 10+ years’ engineering experience working within a large scale technology development organization
• 5+ years’ leadership experience leading and managing high performance engineering teams
• To be successful in the position, a candidate needs a strong balance of technical, leadership and communication competencies
• 5+ years’ experience in design in the disciplines of Systems, Software, or Hardware
• Expertise in System level Requirements Management, System Level Functional Modeling, High Availability System Design, Fundamental design principles.
• Basic knowledge with LINUX and/or Android operating systems
• Experience with networking
• Knowledge of avionics requirements and FAA processes with a focus on In-flight Entertainment is highly preferred
• Critical thinking, able to identify and implement better efficiencies and process improvements.
• Strong organizational, staff management, planning, and team building skills.
• Effective communication skills to interact professionally with all levels inside and outside the organization.
Are you ready to be part a part of something big? If your skills, experience and attitude are a match and you’re looking for an exciting challenge, please apply now using the link below and we will be in touch.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer/AA/Minorities/Females/Veterans/Disabled.