Test Engineer at DRS Technologies
Posted in Architecture 30+ days ago.
This job brought to you by eQuest
Location: Fitchburg, Massachusetts
DRS Technologies is a leading supplier of integrated products, services and support to military forces, intelligence agencies and prime contractors worldwide. Focused on defense technology, we develop, manufacture and support a broad range of systems for mission critical and military sustainment requirements, as well as homeland security.
Headquartered in Arlington, VA, the Company is a wholly owned subsidiary of Finmeccanica S.p.A. which employs more than 70,000 people worldwide. We offer a competitive compensation package and a business culture which rewards performance.
For additional information on DRS, please visit our website at www.drs.com.
DRS Naval Power Systems (NPS) a multi-site operation responsible for $350 million of revenue with locations in Milwaukee, WI, Bridgeport &Danbury, CT, Fitchburg, MA, and High Ridge, MO with an employee base of approximately 900 employees. NPS is structured into four Lines of Business: Surface, Submarines, Nuclear Instrumentation and Controls and Marlo Coil focusing on supporting the power and propulsion needs of the U.S. Navy. We provide engineering, manufacturing and lifetime support of our highly engineered products.
Job Location Fitchburg, MA
Fitchburg Massachusetts is a community of ~41,000 people is located 10 miles from New Hampshire and 50 miles from Boston. Despite being one of the largest cities in the county, Fitchburg retains its small town flavor. Fitchburg boasts excellent access via highway or MBTA commuter train to all points. One can choose to live in any type of area; be it urban, suburban, or rural; all within a short commute to Fitchburg.
DRS NPS, Fitchburg is currently seeking a Test Engineer to participate in the development of permanent magnet motors and generators for industrial markets and US Naval applications. This individual will be responsible for defining and implementing test plans as needed to validate performance of motors, generators and power electronics systems.
The successful candidate must be able to apply engineering knowledge to evaluate performance requirements and develop appropriate test plans and procedures. The candidate will need to design and/or specify the equipment needed to accomplish the test plans. The ideal candidate will have experience in one or more of the following areas: motor-drive application engineering and system integration, electric machine and power electronics testing, data acquisition and instrumentation.
Although not a requirement, the ideal candidate would also be able to contribute to electric power distribution and control system design activities.
Involved with the design and development of test programs to measure the functionality and integrity of products and services. Writes test procedures and protocols to assess product reliability and evaluates the ability of products to meet performance standards and specifications. Debugs test hardware and software.
- Review of applicable requirements documents and define resulting test plans and procedures.
- Design test environment including design or selection of test components. Equipment can include but will not be limited to motor dynamometers, inverters, motor controllers, standard temperature, speed, torque, flow and pressure sensors and related data conditioning and acquisition equipment.
- Supervise or conduct the development of test control user interfaces and data management.
- Supervise or conduct testing of motors, generators and power electronic systems.
- Research and recommend infrastructure improvements to increase product development and testing efficiency.
- May use computer-aided engineering or other design/analysis software in the performance of assignments. Ability to lead a technical group independently
- Review customer specifications and requirements, and under direction develops designs to best support them, including cost as a key design variable
- Provide budget, cost and schedule input for design assignments
- Specify and evaluate supplier components, subsystems and services
- Drive the program design to cost and design for manufacture requirements
- Develop prototypes to retire key development risks
- Communicate clearly (written and oral) with other company personnel and the customer as required
- Participates in preparation of proposals
- Provide technical knowledge and assistance to other engineers and support personnel
- Lead and direct the work of others as assigned
- Support, communicate, reinforce and defend the mission, values and culture of the organization
- B.S. Engineering and at least 5 years of relevant work experience. Candidates with substantial relevant work experience in lieu of an engineering degree will be considered.
- U.S. Citizen
- Must be able to obtain security clearance
- Some travel may be required 10%-15%
Equal Opportunity Employer – M/F/Disabled/Vet #NPS