Accounting Specialist at Mars, Incorporated
Posted in Accounting 30+ days ago.
This job brought to you by eQuest
Location: Chicago, Illinois
A mutually rewarding experience.
Work. Realize your ambitions. And realize there’s more to being in business than just making a profit. That’s the Mars philosophy. And the opportunity we offer every one of our Associates. An opportunity to take what you do and make it mean more for you, for those around you and for the planet. What you get here is challenging, interesting work. You get the tools you need to do a great job and you get to have the best possible people on your side to help you do it. And at the same time as getting to find ways to do business better today than we did it yesterday and driving a great career, you also get to build a more enlightened business and drive sustainability.
Because it’s never just about a single person, a single project or a single brand. It’s about how you can grab everything that’s within your reach here and use it to pursue mutual, long-term gain. It’s about having ideas. And ideals. Being prepared to risk failure because the promise of success means we’ll all be a little better off. It’s that mix of integrity and ambition that makes Mars such a special place to work. And why working here is always about more than just a job.
Mars has net sales of more than $33 billion, operates six business segments including Petcare, Chocolate, Wrigley, Food, Drinks, Symbioscience, and more than 75,000 Associates worldwide that are putting its Principles into action to make a difference for people and the planet through its performance.
Mars brands include: Petcare – PEDIGREE®, ROYAL CANIN®, WHISKAS®, BANFIELD® Pet Hospital, CESAR®, SHEBA®, DREAMIES® and NUTRO®; Chocolate – M&M’S®, SNICKERS®, DOVE®, GALAXY®, MARS®, MILKY WAY® and TWIX®; Wrigley – DOUBLEMINT®, EXTRA®, ORBIT® and 5™ chewing gums, SKITTLES® and STARBURST® candies, and ALTOIDS® AND LIFESAVERS® mints. Food – UNCLE BEN’S®, DOLMIO®, EBLY®, MASTERFOODS®, SEEDS OF CHANGE® and ROYCO®; Drinks – ALTERRA COFFEE ROASTERS™, THE BRIGHT TEA COMPANY™, KLIX® and FLAVIA®; Symbioscience – COCOAVIA® and WISDOM PANEL®.
This role is a member of the Intercompany Accounting Team within Mars, Inc. The primary responsibilities of the function are provides services related to cross charges across Mars, Incorporated. Intercompany captures, processes, and reports on the costs related to various shared services with the center’s responsibility. Management of these transactions are administered through the knowledge and application of Mars Accounting policies and principles, US GAAP, applicable local government regulations and Mars transaction-processing system(s) to meet the Best Practice Process requirements (Golden Processes). This role is accountable to the Intercompany Accounting Manager and supports General Ledger close responsibilities. This includes managing the flow of General Ledger activities in order to accomplish the period-end close while ensuring that all activities are compliant with the Mars Finance Manual.
Support Accounting Processes:
- Ensure accuracy of financial results through integrity of financial systems and completing assigned tasks during the close process accurately and complete
- Participate in continuous training to develop and raise competency levels
- Accountability for completing work activities to comply with necessary financial activities related to the Intercompany billing and period closing process
- Ensure a secure controlled finance environment
- Facilitate communications across all business units , building relationships and ensure Service Level Agreements are met and exceeded
- Continuous improvement of effective business processes within Intercompany team
Support Financial Operations:
- Provide support in carrying out the direction of the MFS Intercompany Accounting Manager
- Assist in ensuring an adequate internal control environment, making recommendations regarding improvements to internal controls to the Intercompany Accounting Manager
- Perform ad hoc financial analysis as required
- Perform SAP key user functionalities related to Intercompany
- Participate in system testing as needed
- Act as primary contact for functional issue resolution
- Stay current of new processes and system functionality
Key Functional Competencies and Technical Skills:
- Financial Controls &Statutory Accounting - Basic understanding of Accounting Theory, practice and application
- Strong attention to detail
- Good communication skills (written/verbal)
- Must have excellent Microsoft Office skills. Preferred SAP knowledge
Key Supporting Competencies:
- Customer Focus
- Drive for Results
- Functional/Technical Skills
- Problem Solving
- Organizational Agility
Education & Professional Qualification:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Finance or Accounting
- 0-2 years of relevant experience
Mars is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. If you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process because of a disability, it is available upon request. The company is pleased to provide such assistance, and no applicant will be penalized as a result of such a request.