Manager, Plant Accounting at American Water Works Company
Posted in Accounting 30+ days ago.
This job brought to you by eQuest
Location: Cherry Hill, New Jersey
Founded in 1886, American Water is the largest and most geographically diverse publicly traded U.S. water and wastewater utility company. With headquarters in Voorhees, N.J., the company employs 6,800 dedicated professionals who provide regulated and market-based drinking water, wastewater and other related services to an estimated 15 million people in 47 states and Ontario, Canada. To learn more about American Water and additional career opportunities, visit www.amwater.com.
Leads American Water efforts related to Plant (capital) Accounting. Oversees standards and methodologies for recording capital expenditures. Provides value-added financial services to leadership in Regulated Operations and other internal and external customer groups. Lead organization wide efforts for implementation and ongoing maintenance of the PowerPlan asset system application. Oversee the company’s utility plant accounting activities, including but not limited to preparing and maintaining the utility and non-utility plant accounting records, reviewing and interpreting the impact of rate case orders, analytical studies on historical, forecast, and pro-forma data; developing comprehensive financial data reports for both internal and external customers.
- Initially manage the PowerPlan utility plant application implementation, and subsequently perform the following duties:
- Design workflows and necessary automation to enhance the closing process and preparation of utility and non-utility plant reports.
- Manage functional Utility Plant Accounting staff. Includes training and coordination of workflow. Drive high level of performance and productivity.
- Participate in development of Utility Plant Accounting policies and procedures.
- Keep current with emerging accounting and reporting guidance and trends including state regulatory, FASB and SEC standards and interpretations as it relates to Utility Plant Accounting.
- Identify and understand emerging business issues affecting the company and water industry.
- Provide leadership related to capital strategies during rate cases. Interact with leadership in regulated businesses to provide insight and counsel.
- Ensure adherence to SOX internal controls related to the utility plant accounting process.
- Initiates actions that lead to process improvements.
- Lead organizational efforts toward standardization of accounting practices related to the capital projects. Interact and direct activities of matrixed resources.
- Build and leverage working relationships with regulated customer groups and Service Company partners.
- Provide insights and influence on the organization’s capital expenditures and regulatory strategies. Partner with key stakeholder groups (Regulatory, Tax, Technical Accounting) in development of these strategies.
Knowledge / Skills
- Strong utility plant accounting skills and solid understanding of current generally accepted accounting principles and regulatory reporting requirements. Ten plus years of experience in these areas preferred.
- Proven ability to provide support during company-wide rate cases.
- Demonstrated ability to provide capital vs. expense guidance to normal and unique transactions.
- Demonstrated ability to manage complex tasks and issues.
- Proven ability to coordinate projects and successfully manage multiple priorities.
- Strong communication skills including excellent written and presentation skills.
- Strong knowledge of depreciation studies and asset retirements and the impact on depreciation and cost of removal rates throughout the company.
- Working knowledge of Windows-based PC applications.
- National Association of Regulatory Commissioners (NARUC) knowledge preferred.
- Requires knowledge of GAAP.
- Requires knowledge of PowerPlan.
Dealing Effectively with Direct Reports
Managing / Measuring Work
Experience / Education
- Experience with capital asset system implementations and experience with PowerPlan and SAP.
- Requires proven track record of superior experience in the finance and/or plant accounting discipline, public accounting, or regulatory environment.
- Requires demonstrated proficiency in multiple functions, as well as successful assumption of increasingly technical projects and responsibilities.
- Requires proven ability to provide expert technical advice to others in an accurate and timely manner.
- Prefer multiple functional experiences.
- At least 7 years of leadership experience
- At least ten years recent work experience in Utility Plant Accounting.
- Requires BS/BA in Accounting or Finance or equivalent combination of education and experience. CPA or MBA desirable.
Minimal travel expected in this position.
Licenses & Certifications
Join American Water...We Keep Life Flowing™
American Water is firmly committed to Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and prohibits employment discrimination for employees and applicants based on his or her age, race, color, pregnancy, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, religion, marital status, citizenship, or because he or she is an individual with a disability, protected veteran or other status protected by federal, state, and local laws.