Director of Government Relations at Cargill
Posted in Media - Journalism - Newspaper 30+ days ago.
This job brought to you by eQuest
Location: Newark, California
This position will develop and have primary responsibility for ensuring implementation for a government-relations, corporate responsibility, and communications strategy to support the Cargill Salt and Land Management businesses in the San Francisco Bay Area. The position will coordinate the businesses’ government relations, internal communications, external communications, corporate responsibility, and stakeholder outreach.
The position will work in close collaboration with Cargill Salt and Land Management on high-risk business issues at the federal, state and local government level, identify and anticipate legislative and regulatory policy developments and their impact on Cargill, effectively advocate for Cargill’s interests before federal, state and local government authorities, and serve as a registered lobbyist in California.
The role will manage communications outreach to targeted media, NGOs and other stakeholders to authentically communicate Cargill’s point of view and sustainability priorities. The position will issue news releases, coordinate media interviews and public forums on behalf of the company.
The position will coordinate work with outside counsel and consultants, as needed.
The position will directly interact with senior business leaders to communicate legislative, regulatory, and community developments and developing strategic plans to address these developments. This position will also heavily interact with state and local lawmakers and staff, and agency officials. This position will take an active role in developing relationships and partnerships with non-government organizations (NGOs) and other individual stakeholders and groups.
- 20% Work with Cargill Law, outside counsel, and consultants on meeting Cargill’s legal and regulatory requirements for Cargill’s businesses in the Bay Area;
- 15% Work with Cargill Corporate Affairs to develop a government relations, communications, and corporate responsibility strategy that furthers Cargill’s reputation and interests;
- 10% Ensure that Cargill’s activities and operations are accurately promoted through websites, brochures, public presentations, letters, graphics, news releases, tours, etc.;
- 20% Identify and engage local and national stakeholder groups, community leaders, community organizations, and key influencers on issues of importance to Cargill’s business interests in the Bay Area;
- 15% Leverage Cargill’s corporate responsibility and sustainable development programs to establish Cargill’s reputation for integrity and generosity;
- 15% Engage key government officials, agencies, and community groups in partnerships that benefit to Cargill’s long-term interests, (e.g., publicizing the extensive voluntary assistance provided by Cargill employees to federal and state natural resource agencies in managing and restoring donated salt ponds; and
- 5% Respond to special requests from the public
Minimum Required Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree
- 7 or more years experience in government relations and environmental projects for an organization of 10,000+ employees
- 2 or more years of working with environmental Non-governmental organizations (NGOs)
- 2 or more years of working through California regulatory or legislative matters
- Ability to travel up to 25% of the time
- Bachelors Degree or higher in public policy or environmental policy OR Juris Doctor (J.D.)
- Experience working in the Bay Area
- Experience in working with online and offline media and connecting with social media influencers
- Outstanding written and verbal communications skills, including the ability to recognize different communication strategies for different audiences.
- Ability to set strategy and engage other resources to accomplish such strategy.