Principal Enterprise Data Architect - Atlanta, GA at Oldcastle Materials Inc
Posted in Consultant 30+ days ago.
This job brought to you by eQuest
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Job ID: 128406
Oldcastle Materials, Inc., a division of Oldcastle, is the leading vertically integrated supplier of aggregates, asphalt, ready mixed concrete, and construction and paving services in the United States and Canada. Our operations span North America with 22,000 employees at more than 1,200 locations in 44 US States and 8 Canadian provinces.
The Principal Enterprise Data Architect will provide senior technical leadership and strategic direction for all corporate data initiatives reporting to the VP of Enterprise Architecture. Responsibilities include partnering with business leaders, data services, business intelligence, and application development teams in building solution data architecture and data governance best practices. This leader will be accountable for architecting complex and scalable data architectures across multiple technology channels (e. g., SAS, web, mobile, MDM, IOT, enterprise systems, integration systems, etc.) optimized for dynamic consumption capabilities including real time SOA integration, ESB platforms, Information Management Systems, Business Intelligence Platforms, and Data Science.
The candidate will develop a data platform strategies that align with the business and enterprise architecture framework while optimizing the total cost of ownership. He/she will be responsible for the communication and ongoing governance of architecture blueprints, roadmaps, principles, standards, design patterns, and reference architectures to promote consistent solutions and portfolio rationalization. The candidate will lead the development and support the maintenance of conceptual, logical, and physical data models across all transactional, master data, analytics platforms. The candidate is someone with proven technology leadership with ability to get hands on when it comes to analysis, design, and execution while using influence to gain consensus on broad strategic objectives.
He/she will strategically design and implement data lakes, data warehouses, data marts, and data stores, while ensuring high levels of data availability. This individual is also responsible for defining data standards and models for all data enterprise data stores. The Enterprise Data Architect will in addition evaluate and select all infrastructure components such as software, hardware, database management systems, and networking capabilities. The Enterprise Data Architect will work with Data Services staff to insure all standards are followed in establishing and maintaining enterprise data stores.
Key Responsibilities (Essential Duties and Functions)
- In partnership with senior and executive leadership, establishes overall vision and creates a culture that treats data as an asset.
- Develop conceptual, logical, and physical models for enterprise analytic applications, integrations, master data, and transactional applications.
- Build architectural support for Oldcastle Materials Master Data Management (MDM) program, define the enterprise data assets and embed the standards into the overall architecture of the company.
- Partner with Data Services team to ensure that data models and data are properly cataloged in our enterprise data dictionary.
- Develop data architecture KPIs to measure the control effectiveness of data architecture controls.
- Work in collaboration with BI and application development to strategize and execute on target data architecture, standardize and manage key dimensions.
- Continuously update architecture for target data warehouse and analytical data stores environment based on evolving technological landscape.
- Identify impact on changes to existing models and their impact on related applications
- Identify opportunities to reuse existing data structures to accelerate development and innovation effort.
- Define standards on best approaches and techniques for transporting data real-time and near real-time.
- Ability to communicate at all levels with both business and technology leaders, with a strong understand of business data requirements and technology capabilities.
- Provide strategic direction and oversee the integration of emerging Big Data platforms and tools for advanced analytics including machine learning/data science that drive business value.
- Develop data standards that will ensure consistent, high-quality and repeatable designs.
- Assess and cultivate long-term strategic goals for data warehousing in conjunction with data users, department managers, clients, and other key stakeholders.
- Coordinate and work with other technical staff to develop database architectures, coding standards, and quality assurance policies and procedures.
- Plan and implement capacity and resource expansion to ensure data store scalability. Define data purge and archive processes/standards to ensure appropriate data maintenenace is performed.
- Design and implement redundant systems, policies, and procedures for disaster recovery and data archiving to ensure effective availability, protection, and integrity of data assets.
- Conduct research and make recommendations on data products, services, protocols, and standards in support of procurement and development efforts.
- Evaluate, recommend, and select data warehouse components, including hardware, database management systems, ETL (extract, transform, load) software, data mining tools, and meta data management tools.
- Create models for new data warehouse development and/or changes to existing data stores.
- Perform cost estimates for data migration between development, test, and production systems, and plan and coordinate these migrations.
- Develop, implement, and maintain change control and testing processes for modifications to data systems.
- Mentor and/or provide leadership to junior members of the IT team.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
- Bachelor’s Degree in IT/Computer related field (advanced degree preferred)
- 10+ years overall experience, 5+ years direct experience in enterprise-level data architecting.
- 10+ years related work experience in data modeling, systems design and development, solution delivery
- Experience with modern data lake, data warehouse, and big data platforms
- Experience with developing standards and design patterns for cloud-based development including implementing cloud-based analytics platforms like Azure.
- Experience with designing & architecting SQL databases like Oracle and SQL w/ hands on backend systems development & data warehouse platform design experience
- Experience with designing & architecting NOSQL databases like Cosmos or MongoDB etc.
- Experience with ELT tools and processes with a good understanding of pros and cons of the designs
- Working technical experience with designing, building, installing, configuring and supporting multi-terabyte data warehouses.
- Work Requirements
- Travel required 10-25%
- Ability to consistently drive self and others to achieve results despite obstacles and setbacks.
- Must possess strong oral / written communication and listening skills.
- Ability to achieve results with a hands-on, collaborative approach; works well in a team.
- Proficient in encouraging diverse thinking to promote and nurture innovation.
- Demonstrated ability to align career development goals with organizational objectives.
- Ability to understand customers’ need and concerns and be able to customize services and products as appropriate.
- Ability to regularly learn and adopt new technology.
- Strong understanding of relational database structures, theories, principles, and practices.
- Hands-on experience with data architecting, data mining, large-scale data modeling, and business requirements gathering/analysis.
- Familiarity with in-house data-intensive applications, including enterprise Business Intelligence and Reporting tools.
- In-depth technical knowledge of network, PC, and platform operating systems
- Working technical knowledge of current systems software, protocols, and standards
- Experience with data processing flowcharting techniques.
- Proven project management experience.
- Strong understanding of the organization’s goals and objectives.
- Good knowledge of applicable data privacy practices and laws.Strong understanding of end-user needs and requirements.
- Attention to detail and strong analytical skills.
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize issues and monitor progress.
- Physical Requirements
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Able to communicate with others by telephone and in person.
- Able to utilize a computer for word processing, email communication, and preparation of documents and presentations.
- May require sitting for extended periods of time.
Usually, normal office working conditions. The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
- The position may require work outside of normal business hours.
The statements included in this job description are not intended to be all-inclusive. They represent typical elements and criteria necessary to successfully perform the job. Other duties may be assigned as required. Requirements for this job are subject to modification by the Company and its designees, and reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
What Oldcastle Offers You
- A culture that values opportunity for growth, development and internal promotion
- Highly competitive base pay
- Comprehensive medical, dental and disability benefits programs
- Group retirement savings program
- Health and wellness programs
Oldcastle has a long and proud heritage as one of North America’s largest corporations. We are a proud reflection of the hundreds of family businesses, local and regional companies and mid to large sized enterprises that together form the Oldcastle family. Oldcastle operates with a decentralized, diversified structure, letting you work in a small company environment while having the career opportunities of a large enterprise.
Oldcastle is a great place to grow! If you’re up for a rewarding challenge, we invite you to take the first step and apply today! Please complete your online application and profile which will be sent directly to the appropriate Hiring Manager. Thank you for your interest in the Oldcastle family!
EOE/Vet/Disability--If you want to know more, please click on this link.
Oldcastle Materials is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer.
Oldcastle Materials is part of the Oldcastlecareers™ network.