Corporate Safety Director at Benson Industries, Inc.
Posted in Security 15 days ago.
This job brought to you by Local Organization
Type: Full Time
Location: Portland, Oregon
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Inspects all operations being performed on a regular basis, such as production, plant maintenance, and storage of material, for compliance with company and government regulations.
- Writes reports implementing the safety program, trains employees, inspects the facility for adequate fire protection, and ensures that all equipment is in good working condition. Maintains safety files and records.
- Improves working conditions, using knowledge of industrial processes, mechanics, and safety standards; develops loss-control programs; and devises methods to evaluate safety programs.
- Assists line and staff management to understand OSHA regulations and standards, including guidance on handing OSHA compliance, inspections, and citations.
- Investigates accidents in conjunction with line and staff personnel. Notifies senior management of pertinent details weekly.
- Evaluates hazardous conditions and practices and develops hazard control practices and programs.
- Assists in communicating hazard control information and evaluates effectiveness of the control.
- Guides and assists plant personnel at locations with critical safety and health problems.
- Overviews company accident statistics and makes recommendations for correction of problem areas.
- Plans and directs safety and industrial hygiene service of insurance carriers to obtain optimum service.
- Works with trade and professional organizations to promote goals and objectives in the health and safety area that affect the company's business.
- Assesses new developments in the health and safety field that may have application to the company's operations.
- Establishes target areas and long range accident prevention and cost control objectives.
- Keeps apprised of developments in federal and state safety laws likely to affect the company.
- Acts as ranking company representative in dealing with government agencies on safety and health matters affecting the company.
- Investigates fatalities or serious injuries that occur at company facilities in which more than three employees are hospitalized.
- Reviews medical reports, witness statements, department investigation results, and other documentation for all accident reports. Processes and authorizes payment of medical bills and temporary total disability benefits upon receipt of proper documentation.
- Serves as liaison to insurance companies to open, monitor, and close workers' compensation claims.
- Reviews accident reports to identify patterns of injury and determine whether unsafe conditions contributed to the accident; advises department of trends and proper safety to reduce injuries; provides department with information to aid in reduction of accidents and improve safety.
- Attendance in the office during normal business hours.
- Working knowledge of life-safety codes, OSHA and other regulatory agencies.
- Working knowledge of MS Word, MS Outlook, MS Excel
- Certified Safety Professional (CSP) status, preferred.
- Strong verbal, written, analytical, and organizational skills; requires the ability to interact effectively with all levels of employees and management, utilizing persuasive skills.
- Position demands maturity, confidentiality, and the ability to implement improvements in safety.
- Ability to develop procedures and training tools for increased efficiency.
- Career professional desired, exempt salaried position.
- Bachelor's Degree (four year college or technical school) Required, Field of Study: Business or Safety.
- Minimum three years professional safety experience; five + years preferred.
- Prior experience working on high-rise buildings as a Safety Manager or Consultant.
- Curtainwall, construction, or engineering background preferable.
Office Hours & Travel:
Full Time, Monday-Friday, Travel to job sites or offices as needed.
Benson is an E-Verify and Drug and Tobacco-Free Workplace
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F Veterans and People with Disabilities Affirmative Action, E-Verify. We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law