Plant Engineering Calibration Technician* at 3M
Posted in Skilled Labor - Trades 11 days ago.
This job brought to you by eQuest
Location: Maplewood, Minnesota
3M is seeking a (Calibration Technician) for Plant Engineering located in (Maplewood, MN). At 3M, you can apply your talent in bold ways that matter. Here, you go.
The person hired for the role of Calibration Technician will be responsible for repairing, modifying, calibrating, and making adjustments to; analytical devices, recording devices, indicating instruments, electrical, mechanical, electromechanical, and pneumatic control mechanisms used in production, laboratory, office, maintenance and utility areas.
Primary Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Applying knowledge of measurement science, mathematics, physics, and electronics to calibrate inspection, measurement, and test equipment (IM&TE) to ensure measurement accuracy. Also, will apply the principles of metrology in the area of; Electrical / Electronic, Thermodynamic, Dimensional, Physical, and Mechanical disciplines and associated sub-disciplines
- Reading and working to the indicated accuracy, specifications, and tolerances as detailed on appropriate calibration standards and standardized procedures
- Continually assessing the calibration processes and procedures to ensure the highest level of accuracy by submitting suggestions for improvements. Assists in updating of those process and procedures documents
- Performing mathematical calculations utilizing algebraic equations, trigonometric functions, and calculus where applicable to determine electrical and electronic circuit characteristics and requirements
- Performing calibration troubleshooting or diagnoses, and performs corrective adjustments based on identified calibration problem
- Setting-up, operating, and reading precision testing and measuring instruments to the instrument manufacturer's or client’s specifications for accuracy. Precision testing and measuring instruments include devices such as, but not limited to: ammeters, voltmeters, ohmmeters, oscilloscopes, balances, power supplies, thermometers, viscometer, scales, tachometers, strobe lights, hygrometers, pressure / vacuum gauges, microscopes, torque meters, and chart recorders
- Recording and diagrams work activities in a technical notebook and understand the record of invention and traceability documentation requirements. Participates in proficiency tests or inter-laboratory comparisons
- Troubleshooting and making fine adjustments to direct current and alternating current motor drive control loops as needed to calibrate outputs to feedback loops, meter readings and control system or panel
- Ability to use hand tools for use on the job to perform calibration and knowledge to use those hand tools to adjust instruments back into tolerance for calibration.
- Completing required shop paperwork and uses electronic reporting system following established procedures. This includes, Daily Work Records, P.M. Route Sheets, Stock Withdrawal Forms, shift or job carry over to next crew and other forms and records that may be required in the performance of the job or the operation of the department.
- Submitting work method improvement suggestions, training suggestions and other cost recommendations to supervisor
- Performing job requirements within the specified or shortest time possible and at the lowest cost and minimum waste
- Maintaining certifications in job performance at prescribed time intervals. Attends all required training and meetings
- Auditing and validating all data for completeness and quality. Be accountable for data quality, quantity and timeliness of work
Environmental, Health, & Safety:
- Properly handling Hazardous Waste as provided in annual training. Handling includes packaging, labeling, container inspection, and sealing
- Knowing and using safe work methods when performing the job requirements in hazardous and nonhazardous environments so as to avoid personal injury, injury to coworkers, or damage to company property
- Actively wearing all required personal protective equipment: uniform, safety glasses, hearing protection, safety shoes, gloves, and/or respirator (when required). Reports unsafe work conditions or equipment operation to supervisor immediately
- Keeping work area neat and orderly, contributes efforts toward the overall cleanliness of the shop. Cleans up general working area (shop and/or factory) at the completion of each job. Machine tools are to be cleaned and other tools returned to the tool crib or shop storage cabinets as appropriate. Broken or malfunctioning tools are to be brought to the attention of the supervisor
- Possess a High School Diploma/GED or higher
- Minimum one (1) year ISO 17025, ISO 9001 and ANSI/NCSL Z-540 requirements experience relating to calibration and metrology
- Minimum two (2) years calibration experience
- Possess a Bachelor’s degree in Chemical Engineering, Electrical Engineering or Mechanical Engineering from an accredited university
- Minimum two (2) years of calibration experience within the last five (5) years
- Precision Measurement Equipment Laboratory (PMEL) training or equivalent formal technical training
- Minimum five (5) years of experience calibrating electrical, electronic or mechanical equipment
- Experience with SAP- PM module
- Microsoft Office experience
- Experience with Met/Cal Procedure Writing and Met/Team Database Administration
- Strong oral and written communication skills and a demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with multiple functions and organizations
- Strong leadership and team building skills
Location: Maplewood, MN
Travel: May include up to 5% domestic
Relocation: Is not authorized
Qualified applicants will be required to take and pass 3M employment testing as a part of the selection process.
Responsibilities of this position may include direct and/or indirect physical or logical access to information, systems, technologies subjected to the regulations/compliance with U.S. Export Control Laws.
U.S. Export Control laws and U.S. Government Department of Defense contracts and sub-contracts impose certain restrictions on companies and their ability to share export-controlled and other technology and services with certain "non-U.S. persons" (persons who are not U.S. citizens or nationals, lawful permanent residents of the U.S., refugees, "Temporary Residents" (granted Amnesty or Special Agricultural Worker provisions), or persons granted asylum (but excluding persons in nonimmigrant status such as H-1B, L-1, F-1, etc.) or non-U.S. citizens.
To comply with these laws, and in conjunction with the review of candidates for those positions within 3M that may present access to export controlled technical data, 3M must assess employees' U.S. person status, as well as citizenship(s).
The questions asked in this application are intended to assess this and will be used for evaluation purposes only. Failure to provide the necessary information in this regard will result in our inability to consider you further for this particular position. The decision whether or not to file or pursue an export license application is at 3M Company's sole election.
Must be legally authorized to work in country of employment without sponsorship for employment visa status (e.g., H1B status)
3M is an equal opportunity employer. 3M will not discriminate against any applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.
See job description.