Communications and Development Director at Umoja Community Education Foundation
Posted in Business Development 30+ days ago.
This job brought to you by Recruitology
Location: Sacramento, CaliforniaJob Description:
Umoja is a community of educators and learners committed to the academic success, personal growth and self-actualization of African American and other students. The Umoja Community seeks to educate the whole student-body, mind and spirit. Informed by an ethic of love and its vital power, the Umoja Community will deliberately engage students as full participants in the construction of knowledge and critical thought. The Umoja Community seeks to help students experience themselves as valuable and worthy of an education.
Umoja Community is currently seeking a Communications and Development Director to provide leadership in all areas of communication and development to promote the mission and services of the Umoja Community to current affiliate colleges, Chancellor's Office, legislators, potential donors, funders and the larger community.
Communications, Social Media, and Marketing
- Develop and implement an integrated, organization- wide strategic communications plan to broaden awareness of and strengthen Umoja's brand identity across key stakeholder audiences;
- Create a brand/marketing/public relations strategy that will allow Umoja leadership to cultivate and enhance meaningful relationships with targeted, high -level external audiences, including the media, legislators and other key influencers;
- Identify challenges and emerging issues faced by the organization and the community.
- Work with the board and staff to recognize internal and external communications; opportunities and solutions, and define and execute appropriate strategies to support them;
- Design and distribute various media pieces for event programs and fundraising activities;
- Maintain social media channels including working with student assistants to populate social media and report quarterly evaluations on media outreach;
- Create newsletters, reports, and other communications to be delivered to constituents of the Umoja Community; and
- Assist with volunteer outreach and conduct volunteer-specific marketing as requested;
- Ability to manage website content using Drupal platform;
- Other duties as assigned.
- Collaborate with the Board of Directors and Management to create a fund development plan (including student scholarship campaign) to increase revenues to support the strategic direction of the organization;
- Implement the fund development plans in accordance with ethical fundraising principles;
- Monitor and evaluate all fundraising activities to ensure that the fundraising goals are being achieved;
- Develop and manage timelines for various fundraising activities to ensure strategic plans and critical fund-raising processes are carried out in a timely manner;
- Identify and develop corporate, community, and individual prospects for the organization's fundraising priorities;
- Provide data and other information related to grants and sponsorships to Umoja leadership;
- Execute grant writing and coordinate calendar grant reporting deadlines, meetings, and other grant related activities to acquire grant funding for Umoja.
Umoja is seeking an accomplished Director of Communications and Development who has at least five years of communications experience, ideally in an "in-house" leadership role within a complex (number and variety of constituents) nonprofit entity, and covering areas such as website content, newsletters, and donor communications. The ability to take knowledge and transform it into exciting and useful messages, and disseminate it to the right audiences through the best distribution channels is critical.
- Highly collaborative style; experience developing and implementing communications strategies;
- Excellent writing/editing and verbal communication skills;
- A strong track record as an implementer who thrives on managing a variety of key initiatives concurrently;
- Relationship builder with the flexibility and finesse to "manage by influence";
- High energy, maturity, and leadership with the ability to serve as a unifying force and to position communications discussions at both the strategic and tactical levels;
- Sincere commitment to work collaboratively with all constituent groups, including staff, board members, volunteers, donors, program participants, and other supporters;
- Strong oral and written communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to form and maintain positive work relationships;
- Strong ability to work efficiently and effectively, to multi task, and to handle last-minute changes in a fast-paced environment; and
- Self-starter, able to work independently, and entrepreneurial; enjoys creating and implementing new initiatives.
Education and Technical Skills
- A Bachelor's degree in communications, English, journalism, online media, or related field required. Master's degree desired.
- Knowledge of and experience with social media tools, including Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Blogger.
- Proficient technological skills, including Microsoft Office Suite and various online tools. Experience with Adobe Creative Suite required.
- Solid photography and photo editing skills; video capture/editing skills preferred.
- Strong writing abilities, editing skills and eye for detail required.
- Analytical and creative mind that will aid in identifying and capitalizing upon opportunities for furthering the Umoja's mission and enhancing materials, events, and campaigns with marketing potential.
- Good eye for graphic design; ability to present and graphically depict ideas, information, and data.