Screed Operator-Emporia, KS at APAC-Kansas Inc
Posted in Construction 30+ days ago.
This job brought to you by eQuest
Location: Emporia, Kansas
Postal/Zip Code: ((66801))
APAC-Kansas, Inc., Shears Construction, a part of Oldcastle Materials Company, is a multi-million dollar heavy highway contractor that was established in 1874, and has multiple asphalt plants, ready mix plants, rock quarries and sand operations in Kansas. Shears is diversified with public, private and commercial work including paving, utility, dirt-grading and concrete flat work. Our valued employees produce quality work and products in a competitive market with safety first at all times. If you are seeking a rewarding career with challenging work, a variety of responsibilities, potential for advancement and looking for benefits of a large corporation with a small company feel, come join our team.
Screed Operator: Do you want to work for a company that values your skills? Do you want to work for a company that values safety above all else? Are you looking for opportunities and benefits of a large corporation with a small company feel? Then Oldcastle Materials is the company for you! Apply for the Screed Operator today and jump start your career with the Oldcastle Materials family.
Job Description Summary
The selected candidate will be required to work in a team environment with other co-workers and managers.
· Safely and efficiently operate heavy equipment of various sizes and weights used in road, site or highway construction and paving.
· Control material taken into the paver and the depths of material distributed through the machine.
· Develop an understanding of all aspects of the paving industry including preparatory work, grades, drainage, paving patterns, aggregate size, job specifications, oil consistencies, compaction and other details related to asphalt paving
· Report any problems to your manager.
· Operator will be responsible for a safe work environment for themselves and co-workers.
· When working with co-workers, constant eye contact will be maintained when backing, communicating using hand signals or other movements.
· Properly follow all company policies and OSHA / MSHA regulations for safe working procedures and environment.
· Follow directions of Foreman as to daily tasks and expectations for each specific project or job site.
· Perform minor servicing and maintenance of equipment; refer major problems to the Foreman.
· Responsible for completing daily pre–and–post inspections with appropriate documentation in compliance with company policies.
· Assist in training less experienced employees on the proper operations, servicing and repair of equipment to further their abilities.
· Execute general labor duties when necessary.
· Responsible for quality control and safety
· Perform other duties as assigned.
The ideal candidate will:
· Pass pre-employment drug screen and criminal background check.
· Pass a pre-employment “Fit for Work” physical.
· Be able to provide valid documentation for the I-9 Immigration document.
· Display a professional and courteous attitude to co-workers, supervisors and the general public at all times.
· Display strong communication (written, verbal and listening skills) and interpersonal skills.
· Basic computer knowledge, including Microsoft Outlook, Excel and Word.
· Self-Motivated, strong team player.
· Good attention to detail.
· Report to work at the designated start time.
· Must be willing to travel and work away from home when required.
· Be willing to work nights and weekends when necessary.
· Be willing to work outdoors in extreme temperatures, both hot and cold.
· Strictly adhere to safety requirements and procedures as outlined in the Employee Handbook.
· Wear personal protective equipment (PPE) in designated operations and production areas as stated by OSHA and / or MSHA.
· Have the willingness to work in a team environment and assist co-workers or supervisors with other duties as required.
· Be at least age 18 years of age due to nature of working environment.
· Minimum high school diploma or general education degree (GED) required.
· Maintain current driver’s license that meets state requirements.
· Have a MVR that meets company standards.
Keywords: Construction; Screed; Operator; Kansas; Emporia
What Oldcastle Offers You
- A culture that values opportunity for growth, development and internal promotion
- Highly competitive base pay
- Comprehensive medical, dental and disability benefits programs
- Group retirement savings program
- Health and wellness programs
Oldcastle has a long and proud heritage as one of North America’s largest corporations. We are a proud reflection of the hundreds of family businesses, local and regional companies and mid to large sized enterprises that together form the Oldcastle family. Oldcastle operates with a decentralized, diversified structure, letting you work in a small company environment while having the career opportunities of a large enterprise.
Oldcastle is a great place to grow! If you’re up for a rewarding challenge, we invite you to take the first step and apply today! Please complete your online application and profile which will be sent directly to the appropriate Hiring Manager. Thank you for your interest in the Oldcastle family!
Join our Talent Community to receive an email newsletter with hot jobs & career advice. Follow Oldcastle Careers on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Google+, Pinterest, WordPress (Career Blog) and LinkedIn!
APAC-Kansas, Inc., Shears Construction is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer.
EOE/Vet/Disability--If you want to know more, please click on this link.
APAC-Kansas, Inc., Shears Construction is part of the Oldcastlecareers™ network.