Accountant - Operations (New Grad / Entry Level) at USG Corporation
Posted in Accounting 30+ days ago.
This job brought to you by eQuest
Location: Chicago, Illinois
USG Corporation is an industry-leading manufacturer of building products and innovative solutions. Headquartered in Chicago, USG serves construction markets around the world through its United States Gypsum Company and USG Interiors, LLC subsidiaries and its international subsidiaries, including its USG Boral Building Products joint venture. Its wall, ceiling, flooring, sheathing and roofing products provide the solutions that enable customers to build the outstanding spaces where people live, work and play. Its USG Boral Building Products joint venture is a leading plasterboard and ceilings producer across Asia, Australasia and the Middle East.
Why consider USG? Simple… As a publicly traded company with $3B in revenue and a strategic focus on growth, we’re big enough that our accounting and finance professionals have a seat at the table in many cross functional opportunities - from operational and manufacturing initiatives, contract negotiation, to joint ventures - with a commitment to professional development and promoting a culture of trying new experiences. And we’re small enough that you can influence how we do things – at every level, for every activity – we want you to challenge the norm.
The Accountant - Operations Plant Accounting is part of a team of accounting professionals that is responsible for completing the daily/monthly accounting, inventory control and reconciliation and Project Accounting functions for all manufacturing locations (Gypsum Company, USG Interiors and CGC) and warehouse locations.
Key Accountabilities and Responsibilities:
This position performs the following for all manufacturing locations and warehouse locations (as appropriate):
- Complete all monthly, quarterly and annual accounting entries required to close the books and to complete the individual plant cost books.
- Complete all Oracle Project Accounting activity including project creation, transaction review and correction, reconciliation and reporting.
- Maintain the schedule for and performing all physical inventory reconciliations.
- Handle closing for all warehouse locations which include the reconciliation of inventory to the GL, freight accrual balancing, distribution of product group variances and other necessary GL entries to close the books. For approximately 15 locations the team will perform all purchasing and receiving transactions into inventory. In addition, all shipping and billing transactions will be performed in a manor to ensure accurate and timely product costs.
- Identify and implement process improvements and automation within the Operations Plant Accounting department’s accounting and finance functions.
- Coordinate with the record to report (R2R) Genpact team regarding all journal entries and account reconciliations to ensure timely and accurate completion of both.
- Meet all service level agreement metrics, participate in team meetings, and will cross train within the Department.
- Perform plant allocation process to include GL allocation, variance allocation and specific cost distributions.
- Prepare accurate and timely journal entries and completes general ledger account analysis while ensuring that all transactions are recorded in compliance with US GAAP.
- Ensure the completeness and accuracy of monthly inputs from all US and Canadian operations (including warehouse locations) to achieve a timely close of the books activity. This will require collaboration with associates from other corporate teams and administration personnel from all facilities and warehouse locations.
- Coordinate with the Operations Finance department regarding cost book results and investigation of abnormal cost activity and operating results.
- Prepare account reconciliations and supporting schedules for balance sheet accounts.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Microsoft Office computer skills (VBA is a plus)
- Approximately 5% travel
- CPA preferred or working towards CPA certification or MBA
- 1 - 2 years manufacturing experience a plus
- Oracle knowledge and ability to navigate, export and report
- An ambitious professional who wants to be challenged with roles of increasing responsibility and is excited about moving into different roles in the Company’s finance organization over the course of his or her career.
- A true team player
- Excellent analytical and organizational skills
- Able to use logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems
- Ability to determine the relative costs and benefits of potential actions and determine the most appropriate one
- Capable of multi-tasking with competing priorities
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to professionally interact with plant personnel as well across all levels of management
- Customer focused – assisting and providing a service to customers