OFFICE MANAGER I at Granite Construction Incorporated
Posted in Admin - Clerical 14 days ago.
This job brought to you by eQuest
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Building a career at Granite may be the most valuable thing you could do...
Are you interested in the opportunity to work for an industry-leading company that will give you the experience and exposure you need to build your career and personal brand? If so, then you’ve come to the right place!
Since 1922, Granite Construction has continued its long standing commitment to building some of America’s largest infrastructure projects including highways, bridges, dams, rail, and power. Recognized as one of the top 25 largest construction companies in the U.S., Granite specializes in complex infrastructure projects and provides award-winning construction services in mining, earthwork, water/sewer, power, tunneling, rail, highway and bridge construction. Granite also produces construction materials-sand, gravel, ready-mix, recycled asphalt product and asphalt concrete, and is a proven leader in alternative procurement project delivery.
At Granite, our employees are our most valued asset and we are passionate about retaining, developing, and recruiting the best talent available. Our employees reflect our core values: Honesty, Integrity, Fairness, Accountability, Consideration of Others, Pursuit of Excellence, Reliability Safety and Citizenship and we are continuously looking for individuals who possess a winning attitude and share our Core Values. In exchange, we help you build a career that no other company can duplicate. You will be part of a learning culture, where teamwork and collaboration are encouraged, excellence is rewarded, and diversity is respected and valued. Add our award winning safety program, ethics, reputation, and a commitment to continuous improvement and you’ll see that we are building more than infrastructure—together, we are building your future.
Must be able to relocate to Texas within 6-9 months of hire
This position is responsible for the supervision of an administrative office and assisting the Business Manager and location management team to ensure the efficient, cost effective and professional operation of the business unit’s administrative department.
Essential Job Accountabilities
1. Supervise and perform various daily, weekly and monthly administrative functions including payroll, accounts payable, accounts receivable, contracts and other office processes to ensure accuracy and timely completion and compliance with Company policies, General Accepted Accounting Principles and Sarbanes-Oxley requirements.
2. Participate in business unit management meetings to provide input on business administration processes and issues.
3. Collaborate with the Business Manager in the preparation and management of the overhead budgets and forecasts for assigned location to ensure accurate and timely reporting and cost control.
4. Supervise one direct report, depending on location, including evaluating, training and developing to ensure optimal efficiency and employee development.
5. Provide accurate and timely communication to the Business Manager and location Management on relevant issues to ensure key information is disseminated and addressed.
6. Recommend, establish and implement internal controls to maintain compliance with Granite’s policies and procedures, including Sarbanes-Oxley requirements, internal audits and safety audits to ensure compliance.
7. Supervise the execution of contracts, issuance of insurance certificates, payment and performance bonds, and establishment of escrow accounts in lieu of retention to ensure the Company is in compliance with Company policy and legal requirements and protected from unintended risk.
8. Review, recommend and approve changes as required to all contract and subcontract documents to ensure timely, accurate and efficient processing and compliance.
9. Review and approve A/P invoices to a limit determined by Corporate Limits of Authority or as determined by the Business Manager and approval of A/P batches to ensure accuracy.
10. Assist with internal audits and self-audits of all business functions to ensure that established internal controls are followed to maintain compliance with Granite’s policies and procedures, including all Sarbanes-Oxley requirements.
11. Assure compliance with all government regulations.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, Accounting or related field or equivalent combinations of training and experience.
• Minimum 2 years progressively responsible office experience combining administrative, accounting and analytical skills.
Knowledge, skills, and abilities
• Detailed knowledge of Company operations, organizational procedures, and personnel.
• Understanding of regulatory requirements (SOX, GAAP, DBE, collection laws, contract law, etc.).
• Developing supervisory, communication and organization skills.
• Ability to work independently.
• Ability to work well under pressure.
• Ability to problem-solve.
• Excellent organizational skills.
• Must be proficient in Microsoft Excel and Word.
• JD Edwards World/One World.
• 10 key by touch.
• JWS Material Billings System (preferred).•
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. The employee frequently is required to stand, walk, sit and use hands to operate a computer keyboard. The employee is occasionally required to reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, and ability to adjust focus. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Ability to abide by Granite’s Code of Conduct on a daily basis.
• Team player.
• Valid driver’s license
About Granite Construction Incorporated
Granite Construction Incorporated is a member of the S&P 400 Index and is the parent company of Granite Construction Company, one of the nation's largest heavy civil contractors and construction materials producers. Granite Construction is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities, Females, Protected Veterans, Individuals with Disabilities and a Drug-Free Workplace. For additional information on applicant/employee rights please click here.
Notice to Staffing Agencies
Granite Construction, Inc. and its subsidiaries ("Granite") will not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than directly from a candidate. Any unsolicited resumes sent to Granite, including unsolicited resumes sent to a Granite mailing address, fax machine or email address, directly to Granite employees, or to Granite's resume database will be considered Granite property. Granite will NOT pay a fee for any placement resulting from the receipt of an unsolicited resume. Granite will consider any candidate for whom an Agency has submitted an unsolicited resume to have been referred by the Agency free of any charges or fees. Agencies must obtain advance written approval from Granite's recruiting function to submit resumes, and then only in conjunction with a valid fully-executed contract for service and in response to a specific job opening. Granite will not pay a fee to any Agency that does not have such agreement in place. Agency agreements will only be valid if in writing and signed by Granite's Human Resources Representative or his/ her designee. No other Granite employee is authorized to bind Granite to any agreement regarding the placement of candidates by Agencies.