Certified Medical Assistant at Amherst College
Posted in Other 12 days ago.
This job brought to you by Local Organization
Location: Amherst, MassachusettsJob Description:
Amherst College invites applications for the Certified Medical Assistant position. Amherst College has profoundly transformed its student body in terms of socioeconomic status, ethnicity, and nationality, among other areas. Today, nearly one-quarter of Amherst's students are Pell Grant recipients; 45 percent of our studentsidentify as domestic students of color. Our expectation is that the successful candidate will excel at working in a community that is broadly diverse with regard to race, ethnicity, socioeconomic status, gender, nationality, sexual orientation, and religion.
The Certified Medical Assistant (CMA) is a full-time, year round, 40 hour per week position, job group and level PT-1. The CMA is responsible for assisting medical providers with patient care including administrative and environmental tasks. Fulfills patient care responsibilities as assigned, which includes appointment scheduling and verification of insurance coverage and patient demographics. Facilitates patient flow and conveys positive image of the Health Center. Takes appropriate actions to support a diverse workforce and participates in the College's efforts to create a respectful, inclusive, and welcoming work environment.
Participates if needed in after hours and holiday coverage. In addition, the position is designated as providing essential services and may be required to report to work, or remain on duty even when the College is closed.
- Appointment scheduling and coverage of the front desk including phones, and verification of insurance and patient demographics utilizing the electronic medical system
- Assist with referrals, preauthorization and completing various forms/requisitions as needed to expedite patient care
- Participate in medical tracking system which includes maintaining accurate data entry along with appropriate documentation and informing provider of pertinent information per Health Center guidelines
- Maintain adequate levels of supplies in all exam rooms; order medical and office supplies as needed; perform duties specific to the daily knowledge of equipment and supplies pertinent to clinical operations
Fulfills patient care responsibilities as assigned including checking schedules and organizing patient flow, greeting and accompanying patients to exam room, collecting patient history and performing intake assessments per Health Center guidelines.
Performs and maintains skill level consistent with Health Center guidelines for the administration of medications and/or injections done under the supervision of an N.P./P.A. or M.D. which include but are not limited to the following:
- Administer immunizations and TB tests per Health Center's protocol
- Perform phlebotomy
Performs and maintains skill level consistent with Health Center guidelines for the following procedures done under the supervision of an R.N., N.P./P.A., or M.D. which include but are not limited to the following:
- Basic wound care per Health Center protocol
- Suture removal
- Ear irrigation
- Assist provider with minor procedures including routine orthopedic care, applications of casts, splints and ace wraps, cast removal and crutch instruction
- Blood glucose monitoring
- Set-up and initiation of nebulizer treatments
- Apply oxygen delivery system at correct flow rates
- Routine and postural vital signs
- Peak flow measurements and pulse oximetry
- Spirometry per Health Services protocol
- Vision screening
Performs and maintains skill level consistent with Health Center guidelines for the following procedures which include, but are not limited to the following:
- Appropriate and complete documentation for all patient care activities including telephone encounters while maintaining patient confidentiality
- Maintain proper handling and storage of hazardous materials (biohazards, corrosives, sharps)
- Specimen collection and decentralized laboratory testing per Health Center protocol including documentation
- Maintain and monitor proper temperature control for vaccine storage
- Associates Degree from an accredited Medical Assistant Program or equivalent medical office experience. CPR and CMA certification.
- Working knowledge of basic hospital/clinic practices, techniques, equipment, and terminology
- Strong verbal and written communication, interpersonal, time management and organizational skills
- Basic knowledge of insurance plans
- Computer experience
- Commitment to working with a diverse community
- Must successfully complete pre-employment physical and lift test
Physical and Environmental Demands
- Lift, carry, push, and pull 35 lbs. and the ability to lift and transfer patients with assistance in an emergency
- Visual - normal concentration and eye-hand coordination
- Movement including kneeling, bending, reaching, walking, standing
- Hazardous materials including exposure to biological fluids
Interestedcandidates should submit a resume, cover letter, and the names and contact information (email and/or telephone numbers) for three professional references. Applications will be reviewed until position is filled.
ABOUT AMHERST COLLEGE
Amherst College, one of the premier liberal arts colleges in the nation, is located in Amherst, Massachusetts, a town of approximately 35,000 residents in the western part of the state. The college's community is composed of about1,800 students from 48 states, plus Washington, D.C., Puerto Rico and 54 countries around the world, and about 1,000 staff and faculty. The college's scenic 1,000-acre campus includes a 500-acre wildlife sanctuary and the Book & Plow Farm ; three museums: Emily Dickinson Museum , Beneski Museum of Natural History and Mead Art Museum ; and multiple educational and cultural venues and resources through the Five College Consortium. The town of Amherst offers an amazing variety of coffee shops, restaurants and entertainment, and a very active outdoor life. Our vibrant campus, diverse community and beautiful surrounding, makes Amherst College and the Town of Amherst the perfect place to work, learn and live!
Statement of Non-Discrimination
Amherst College does not discriminate in admission, employment, or administration of its programs and activities on the basis of race, national or ethnic origin, color, religion, sex or gender (including pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender expression, and gender identity), age, disability, genetic information, military service, or any other characteristic or class protected under applicable federal, state, or local law. Amherst College complies with all state and federal laws that prohibit discrimination, including Title VII of the Civil Rights Act, Title IX, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act, the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Equal Pay Act and the Age Discrimination in Employment Act. Inquiries should be addressed to the Chief Diversity and Inclusion Officer , Amherst College, P.O. Box 5000, Amherst, MA 01002-5000.