Structural Engineer I at American Tower Corporation
Posted in Architecture 30+ days ago.
This job brought to you by eQuest
Location: Raleigh, North Carolina
The Structural Engineer I performs structural analyses of low complexity on existing communication structures (including guyed, self-supporting, monopoles and their foundations) and prepares formal, written reports detailing tower capacity and recommendations for modifications needed to increase capacity. The Structural Engineer I supports more experienced engineers in the analysis of more complex structures and in the design of new towers, tower foundations and modifications to existing towers. The incumbent will also assist more experienced engineers in the review of field inspection reports on non-complex towers and will work with the experienced engineer to recommend remediation requirements for less complicated issues.
- Review requests for engineering services to determine that adequate information is provided to complete service.
- Review tower structures and foundations for existing, proposed and reserved tenant configurations.
- Work with existing processes to correctly open analysis projects.
- Perform analyses on projects of low complexity using hand calculations, tower analysis software and other accepted methods.
- Assist in design of modifications for tower reinforcing, extensions and foundations.
- Work with Designer staff on the development of modification drawings.
- Ensure accurate project status reporting to facilitate accurate customer and sales reporting.
- Adhere to applicable Quality Control procedures.
- Generate required engineering reports.
Other duties as assigned
- Basic knowledge of structural analysis software and tower structures and design methods
- Basic knowledge of CAD software, preferably AutoCAD 2012 or higher
- Demonstrated focus on accuracy and high attention to detail
- Proficient with computer software programs, including Microsoft Word, Outlook and Excel
- Ability to work with functional groups and different level of employees to effectively and professionally achieve results
- Strong follow-up skills; ability to organize applicable department timelines and follow up with internal and external customer needs
- Strong written and oral communication skills, including the ability to present ideas and suggestions clearly and effectively
- Strong organizational skills; ability to accomplish multiple tasks within the agreed upon timeframes through effective prioritization of duties and functions in a fast paced environment
- Strong track record of building and maintaining solid relationships with internal and external customers and vendors.
- Self-motivated; able to work both independently to complete tasks and respond to department requests and to collaborate with others to utilize their resources and knowledge to identify high quality solutions
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor's degree in Civil or Structural Engineering or a related field required.
- Master's degree in Civil or Structural Engineering or a related field preferred.
- Engineer in training ("EIT") or Engineering Intern ("EI") certification preferred.
- Preferred experience includes at least one of the following:
- Minimum of 1 year experience of communication tower design and analysis.
- Minimum of 1 year experience in construction or field engineering of steel structures.
- Minimum of 1 year of structural engineering experience.
- Working knowledge of TIA/EIA-222 code and other relevant specifications, a plus.
- Minimum of 1 year experience with AutoCAD preferred.
- Active member of professional organization or technical society encouraged.
Approximately 95% performed in climate-controlled internal office environment working under normal office conditions. Approximately 5% travel may be required in support of the position’s responsibilities. Must be able to work at a computer for extended periods of time.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, stand, walk, use hands and fingers to feel and handle, reach with arms and hands, talk and hear. While performing the duties of this job, the employee frequently is required to stoop, kneel and crouch, lift weight or exert a force up to a maximum of 25 pounds.
We are a dynamic organization in a rapidly changing industry. Accordingly, the responsibilities associated with this job will change from time to time in accordance with business needs. More specifically, the incumbent may be required to perform additional and/or different responsibilities from those set forth above.
The above declarations are not intended to be an all-inclusive list of the duties and responsibilities of the job described, nor are they intended to be such a listing of the skills and abilities required to do the job. Rather, they are intended only to describe the general nature of the job.
The incumbent must be flexible as there may be workweeks that require more than 40 hours to ensure the position’s expectations and responsibilities are met.
American Tower (the “Company”) is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to a diverse workforce. The Company is committed to a policy of equal employment and will not discriminate against an applicant or associate based on his or her age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, race, color, creed, religion, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, marital status, familial status, physical or mental disability, handicap, military or veteran status, genetic information, pregnancy or any other category protected under federal, state or local law, regulation or ordinance.