Scholars Program Intern (Year-Round, Part-Time Internship)- Chattanooga at Unum
Posted in Admin - Clerical 8 days ago.
This job brought to you by eQuest
Location: Chattanooga, Tennessee
Job Posting End Date: 06/30Unum is a company of people serving people. As one of the world's leading employee benefits providers and a Fortune 500 company, Unum's financial protection benefits help protect more than 33 million working people and their families from the financial impact of illness or injury. Unum's three distinct, but similarly focused US businesses – Unum US, Colonial Life, and Starmount Life – are each a market leader in making disability, life, accident, critical illness, dental, and vision insurance accessible in the workplace.Headquartered in Chattanooga, Tennessee, Unum has significant US operations in Portland, Maine, Worcester, Massachusetts, and Glendale, California with over 35 field offices nationwide. Colonial Life is headquartered in Columbia, South Carolina with over 40 field offices nationwide. Starmount Life is based in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, and is the dental and vision center of excellence for Unum in the US.
General Summary:The Unum Scholars Program is a year round, paid internship position responsible for completing assigned work items in a timely manner and ensuring high quality service to business partners. The assigned work can be from different business areas and can vary in complexity and type.
- Gain real world experience working for the leader in the supplemental insurance and disability-based employee benefits marketplace and in a professional office setting.
- Earn year-round competitive income while working part-time
- Learn about various departmental and corporate functions.
- Network with business partners and leaders, participate in social events with other interns
- Earn college credit for your internship (faculty/hiring manager pre-approvals are required)
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide high quality transactional support to business areas with a keen focus on productivity, accuracy and customer service
- Develop effective partnerships and work effectively with various areas as required
- Operate as a team player which includes backing up peers, constructively addressing conflict and giving/receiving feedback
- May perform other duties as assigned or as opportunities arise.
- Must be enrolled in an accredited 4-year college degree program or in an MBA program
- Preferred completion of 2 years of college course work, but not required.
- Required GPA of 3.0 in major or overall GPA of 3.0
- Intern must be available to work at least 15 hours consistently during regular business hours (M-F 8am-5pm.) May work up to 40 hours per week during school vacations/breaks based on business needs regular business hours.
- Scholar Intern must be able to work for at least 9 consecutive months, though most Scholar positions are available through intern's expected graduation date.
- Demonstrated openness to mastering new tasks and work processes
- Must be comfortable in a culture of coaching, ongoing feedback and career development
- Demonstrated leadership skills aligned with Unum Leadership Expectations
- Strong ability to work independently and be self-directed on project or tasked-based work.
- Strong time management skills, ability to prioritize and function in a FIFO, high production, deadline driven environment.
- Strong Customer Service focus. Requires flexibility in schedule so as to meet our customer expectations.
- Must strictly adhere to privacy guidelines.
- Meets the standards for this position, as defined in the Talent Management framework.
- All interns must complete a satisfactory background check in order to be hired.
Unum is an equal opportunity employer, considering all qualified applicants and employees for hiring, placement, and advancement, without regard to a person's race, color, religion, national origin, age, genetic information, military status, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, or protected veteran status.