Chief of Party, Nutrition Activity Program - Tanzania at Save the Children
Posted in Health Care 30+ days ago.
This job brought to you by eQuest
Location: Fairfield, Connecticut
Save the Children is seeking a senior level Chief of Party (COP) for the anticipated USAID-funded Multi-sector Nutrition Activity in Tanzania. The COP will be responsible for the overall project management, supervision, administration, and implementation of the program focused on improving the nutritional status of children and pregnant and lactating women in Tanzania. S/he will provide strategic and operational leadership to implement a solid approach to achieving measurable results by strengthening the institutional capacity of government and local NGOs working at the national level to develop, implement, and sustain a national multi-sectoral nutrition program. S/he will also work closely to support the government of Tanzania and local NGOs working at the district, ward, facility, and community levels to improve nutrition-related behaviors within households by promoting evidence-based nutrition specific and nutrition sensitive interventions. The COP will also work very closely to oversee and document innovative strategies for multi sectoral nutrition focused development that will enable a “learning by doing” approach where lessons learned will feed into new and ongoing programs supported by the government, USAID and/or other development partners.
This position is contingent upon donor approval and funding.
Essential Duties, Responsibilities and Impact
- Represent Save the Children and the project in formal and informal relationships with USAID, local and international partners, government authorities and other key stakeholders, as appropriate.
- Lead the preparation of annual work plans and oversee the production of reports and other deliverables to USAID in a timely and accurate manner.
- Supervise project strategy, planning, implementation, monitoring, and evaluation in a manner consistent with Save the Children’s working principles and ensure that program objectives and key indicators/results are delivered.
- Ensure representatives and leaders at the national, government, and community levels are informed of program progress and best practices.
- Work with partners to identify and develop relationships with appropriate local CSOs to assist in the implementation of the project.
- Ensure that efficient systems are in place to support all aspects of project activity, including financial, grant management, and project monitoring and evaluation, and that they support the effective use of project resources in compliance with USAID regulations.
- Oversee the dissemination of reports related to project activities.
- Ensure that financial systems support Save the Children’s accountability to the donor and that financial reports are timely and complete.
- Supervise key personnel of the project.
Required Background and Experience, Skills and Behaviors
- Master’s Degree in public health or nutrition, public administration, or related nutrition disciplines.
- Minimum of 10 years of professional experience in implementing public health programs with a minimum of seven years of experience in a leadership role in the implementation of development projects relevant to nutrition and food security, maternal and child health.
- Experience in implementation as well as exceptional managerial and operational leadership, preferably managing complex, national/regional activities involving coordination with multiple program partner institutions.
- Experience with advocacy and institutional development within government and non-governmental channels.
- Experience in managing USG funding and familiarity with federal regulations.
- Previous employment or extensive collaboration with NGOs.
- Previous COP experience is preferred.
- Previous experience with agriculture, livelihoods, and WASH is preferred.
- Strengths in inspiring and enabling others through teamwork, training, and organization development to realize organizational objectives.
- Expertise in strategic communication, community mobilization, and participatory methodologies desirable.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Prior regional experience in Africa is required, but familiarity with the political, social, and cultural context as well as prior work experience in Tanzania is highly preferred.