Posted in Engineering 30+ days ago.
Location: Virginia Beach, Virginia
Position Open: February 9,
Position Close: Until filled
Clark Nexsen is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status. AAP. Drug-free workplace. E-verify. Applicants must be legally authorized to work for Clark Nexsen, Inc.
Must apply online through corporate website at www.clarknexsen.com.
Clark Nexsen is a national architecture and engineering firm focused on creating innovative design solutions for U.S. and global clients. We are passionate about our work and are prominently ranked on numerous industry lists. Building Design + Construction ranks Clark Nexsen as a Top 20 architecture and engineering firm and we have been named to the Architect 50 list of top U.S. firms for the past four years. Our culture supports the pursuit of excellence to engage and inspire the best professionals.
Our firm is headquartered in Virginia Beach, Virginia, with 450 employees in office locations in Virginia, North Carolina, Georgia, and Texas. We offer outstanding compensation, benefits, and growth opportunities in a positive work environment. We believe we can create a better world through our work. Giving back is also a guiding philosophy. As a company and as individuals, we proudly volunteer and give back to the surrounding communities where we live and work.
Generous benefits: Health, Dental, Vision, 401k, Short and Long term Disability, Paid Time Off, Aflac, Flexible benefits, and Legal Resources benefits are available.
We seek to hire a Fire Protection Engineer Graduate or EIT in our Virginia Beach, VA office who will perform fire protection engineering services on multi-discipline building design projects of small to large scope for commercial and government facilities, as well as single discipline fire protection engineering projects of small to large scope.
General responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
· Preparation of programming documents, schematic documents, design development documents, and construction documents as directed
· Performing various aspects of fire protection engineering on projects, or portions of projects, as directed by a Fire Protection Engineer or Senior Fire Protection Engineer and in conformance with the applicable zoning ordinances, standards and specifications.
· Working closely with the Fire Protection Engineer or Senior Fire Protection Engineer to develop a thorough understanding of the fundamentals of fire protection engineering
· Preparation of marketing and presentation materials as directed
· Performing various duties associated with the bidding process, including preparing addenda and amendments, open and tabulate bids as directed
· Performing various duties associated with the construction phase, including field visits, answering RFIs, reviewing shop drawings, and preparing record drawings as directed
· Complying with quality control policies and procedures
· Learn and implement department and company standards
· Participating in team meetings and coordinating efforts with other team members
· Actively participate in education, mentoring and IDP programs
· Working with, responding to, and taking direction from the Department Director, Project Manager, Design Manager, Senior Fire Protection Engineer and senior management
Project responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
· Perform Fire Protection Engineer or Senior Fire Protection Engineer tasks as directed
· Completing sections and details produced to a schematic-level of completion by the Fire Protection Engineer
· Creating schematic-level fire protection systems design of low to moderate complexity
· Assisting in the development of an accurate, three-dimensional model of the structure with the necessary level of detail using the required Building Information Modeling (BIM) software package, when BIM is a project requirement
· Develop design options for resolution of system conflicts
· Assist with building systems calculations and LEED templates
· Participate in building system selections
· Participate in building code analysis process
· Assist with discipline drawing coordination
· Coordinate work product with other disciplines
· Adhere to project budget and schedule
· Bachelor of Science in Fire Protection Engineering from an ABET accredited university or a post-graduate degree in Fire Protection Engineering
Candidates who expect to graduate by June 1, 2018 are eligible to apply for this position.
Licenses, Certifications, and Accreditations
· Completed or be in a position to complete the Fundamentals of Engineering Exam and all other state requirements for certification as an EIT is preferred.
· Ability to complete all requirements for PE licensure within 60 months after being hired is preferred.
· Understanding of sustainable design principles and design practices and pursuing LEED AP accreditation is desirable.
· Additional certifications such as CDT, CCS, or CCCA are encouraged to reflect personal growth in the profession and an ever increasing knowledge base to enhance the design and documentation process.
· Active membership in NSPE, ASCE or other related professional organizations is desirable
A Fire Protection Engineer Graduate should be able to effectively utilize current company software programs for word processing, e-mail, and information management.
Working familiarity with design and production software to a point of being able to utilize the software in the development of project documents and interact with other project team members in their use of the software is highly desirable.
· Successful completion of at least one student internship is desirable.
· Prior experience in an Engineering or multi-discipline Architectural & Engineering firm is desirable.
· Familiarity with applicable building codes and standards is desirable.
· Ability to prepare effective and concise documents
· Possess technical precision and creative design skills
· Ability to make effective presentations to a variety of groups
· Have a can-do attitude with a desire to provide outstanding professional services
· Be dedicated to his or her professional development as well as the success of colleagues and the firm as a whole