Specialist Operations at New Jersey American Water
Posted in Admin - Clerical 30+ days ago.
This job brought to you by eQuest
Location: Lakewood, New Jersey
Founded in 1886, American Water is the largest and most geographically diverse publicly traded U.S. water and wastewater utility company. With headquarters in Voorhees, N.J., the company employs 6,800 dedicated professionals who provide regulated and market-based drinking water, wastewater and other related services to an estimated 15 million people in 47 states and Ontario, Canada. To learn more about American Water and additional career opportunities, visit www.amwater.com.
The Operations Specialist provides a combination of administrative, analytical and/or technical support pertaining to routine day-to-day operations for a department or functional area.
- Uses and maintains relational databases and other reporting tools to compile, calculate, track, report and clean-up data pertaining to various reoccurring processes which may include, but are not limited to, water plant operations, capital programs, field projects, work orders, regulatory compliance and employee records.
- Analyzes and evaluates reports and/or prepare variances related to specific department work processes which may include but are not limited to: business systems, regulatory requirements, budgets, capital expenditures, work orders, departmental and/or organizational performance, etc.
- Completes various payroll and accounting tasks such as processing payroll, entering payroll data into system database, running reports, tracking overtime, verifying accuracy of figures and computations, balancing and reconciling accounts and researching and responding to discrepancies.
- Performs activities to monitor and maintain inventory control; evaluates inventory levels and reorders as necessary. May perform receiving, stocking, distributing, and packing in addition to inventory control. Maintains inventory records and prepares reports. May work with vendors to resolve routine supply and distribution discrepancies.
- Provides general administrative and clerical support for day-to-day managerial and departmental needs and special projects which may include but are not limited to: composing routine letters, obtaining permits, preparing and distributing meeting minutes, handling travel arrangements, p-card/ workbasket processing, document preparation, etc.
- Serves as a first level resource for various departmental or functional issues which may be related to customer service, customer billing, water supply, regulatory issues, etc. Answers routine questions and assists in recognizing and troubleshooting larger problems.
Knowledge / Skills
- Thorough knowledge of standard business practices and principles, including basic accounting and budgeting
- In-depth knowledge of Microsoft office suite applications including MSWord, Excel, Access and PowerPoint and email management systems (Lotus Notes/MS Outlook)
- Knowledge of specific payroll systems, i.e. JD Edwards, preferred
- Knowledge of water or utility industry preferred
- Knowledge of AutoCAD, Orcom, a plus
- Demonstrated organization and administrative skills
- Demonstrated communication skills, both verbal and written
- Demonstrated ability to manage and prioritize tasks
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills
Functional / Technical Skills
Learning on the Fly
Experience / Education
- 5 years overall work experience with at least 3 years experience in accounting, payroll or administrative support work
- High school diploma with post high school coursework in secretarial science, business, finance or accounting required; associates level degree in business, finance, accounting or engineering preferred
Indoor office environment
Join American Water...We Keep Life Flowing™
American Water is firmly committed to Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and prohibits employment discrimination for employees and applicants based on his or her age, race, color, pregnancy, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, religion, marital status, citizenship, or because he or she is an individual with a disability, protected veteran or other status protected by federal, state, and local laws.