SUBSTANCE ABUSE COUNSELOR at Geo Reentry Services, LLC.
Posted in Health Care 30+ days ago.
This job brought to you by Careerbuilder
Location: Westminster, CaliforniaJob Description:
This position assists in developing, organizing, and conducting programs to provide education for conditions and problems relating to drug and alcohol abuse. Conducts or assists in conducting individual or group counseling sessions and programs. Learns, uses and models principles of the "What Works" system through evidence-based practices in all interactions with clients and other staff members.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Coordinates substance abuse program at an office or group of offices using principles of the "What Works" system. Schedules intakes, and group and individual sessions. Discusses specific cases with case managers to determine if they are appropriate for substance abuse treatment. May assist with the assignment of cases.
- Facilitates psycho-educational/behavior modification groups using principles of the "What Works" system. Documents participants' attendance, participation and progress in Company database.
- Conducts risk/need assessments and creates individual treatment plans for each assigned participant. Meets regularly with participants and documents participants' progress or regress in Company database.
- Establishes and maintains relationships with outside referral sources, such as in-patient substance abuse facilities or detox facilities. Actively pursues and develops referrals from probation and evaluating agencies.
- Identifies problem areas that may impact participants' ability to successfully complete treatment. Guides participants to develop strategies to overcome obstacles to success completion of treatment.
- May advise Customer of participants' progress regularly or at completion of treatment.
- Collects participants' fees for program participation. Tracks fee collection for office or group of offices.
- Ensures that participants' records are accurately completed in a timely manner.
- May maintain a specific substance abuse treatment case file for every program participant.
- Selects and recommends new instructional materials and programs for use in the substance abuse program.
- Maintains knowledge of new developments in the field of substance abuse.
- Maintains a collegial relationship with other substance abuse professionals, programs, and associations.
- Participates in related training for substance abuse.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- No direct supervisory responsibilities.
- May supervise contract Therapists.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to interact in a professional manner in both individual and group counseling settings.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to work with a team of professionals and have the ability to implement team strategy approaches to work assignments.
- Ability to work with computers and the necessary software typically used by the department.
- Effective communication skills with internal and external contacts at all levels.
- Problem solving ability.
- Good interpersonal skills.
- Bi-lingual skills (English/Spanish) may be required as well as experience dealing with specific cultural group.
- Problem solving ability.
- Good presentation, public speaking and facilitation skills.
- Good organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to handle multiple priorities simultaneously.
- Knowledge of client record management.
- Basic computer skills.
Education or Formal Training:
- High School Diploma or GED required.
- Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university in any of the social sciences and two (2) years of professional experience in chemical additions counseling or
- An Associate's degree from an accredited college or university and four (4) years of professional experience in chemical addition counseling or
- A High School diploma/GED and six (6) years of professional experience in chemical addictions counseling
- Appropriate State licensure or State certification as required by the State's Health and Human Services Agency.
- Completion of Continuing Education Units as required for State certification or licensure.
Equal Opportunity Employer