Operations & Maintenance Technician III - Carpenter at Metropolitan Water District Southern California
Posted in Other 30+ days ago.
Type: Full Time
Location: Riverside, California
The Metropolitan Water District of Southern California is a consortium of twenty-six cities and water districts that provides drinking water to nearly 19 million people in Southern California. Metropolitan's mission is to provide its service area with adequate and reliable supplies of high quality water to meet current and future needs in an environmentally and economically responsible way. Metropolitan's facilities include the 242-mile Colorado River Aqueduct, five conventional water treatment plants with a combined capacity of 2.6 billion gallons per day, nine surface water reservoirs, 800 miles of pipeline, and 16 hydroelectric power plants.
O & M TECH III - CARPENTER
The MWD's Water System Operations Group, currently has two (2) openings for an Operations and Maintenance Technician III - Carpenter in the Construction Services Unit. This position is headquartered at the Lake Mathews facility in Riverside and requires travel to various District facilities and pipelines based on project assignments.
The Operations and Maintenance Technician III - Carpenter (O & M Tech III - Carpenter) utilizes general and advanced carpentry skills, experience and knowledge in the practices, procedures, and methods of building, repairing and renovating structures and their associated parts. Those skills include rough, finished and bench carpentry as well as rough cement placement and finishing and masonry.
This O & M Tech III Carpenter performs, practices, and procedures of installing, improving, maintaining and repairing a wide variety of rough and general carpentry services and products including formwork, rebar placement, concrete placement and finishing. JOB DUTIES
1. Performs general and advanced carpentry and masonry PMs, CMs, and improvements related to construction, alteration, remodeling, repair and maintenance of building framing, partitions, walls, windows and casings, floors, stairways, mortar lining, concrete forms, placement and finishing, rebar placement, furniture, fences, doors, windows, cabinets, shelves, supports, signs and related carpentry services and finished products to support operational reliability and a quality work environment.
2. Completes general and advanced rough and finished carpentry in both shop and field environments by safely utilizing traditional hand as well as power tools such as drills, joinery equipment and pneumatic nailers and grinders as well as other forming, shaping and cutting equipment such as routers, sanders, planers, radial arm, table, miter, reciprocating and other types of saws and tools to effectively fabricate carpentry components from varied materials.
3. Performs improvement, PM and CM activities on a variety of carpentry related components such as locks, hinges, window and door tracks, works with building materials such as brick, tiles, and sheetrock to effectively complete carpentry projects and work. Performs rough and finished masonry.
4. Operates in conjunction with carpentry projects, necessary light equipment such as trucks, man lifts, forklifts or similar equipment to effectively complete work.
Work Schedule: 4/10 (Typically Monday-Thursday; 6:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.)
High school diploma or GED in addition to a minimum of 3 years experience as demonstrated by practical application of techniques and practices specific to carpentry. OR
High school diploma or GED and attainment of skills through a recognized carpentry trade training program and/or applicable related experience within a industrial environment.
Experience and knowledge as demonstrated by practical application of techniques and practices specific to the carpentry trade. Skills necessary include rough and finished carpentry and masonry, and light equipment operation.
Required Knowledge of: Employees in this title are at the skilled-level and utilize and advance skills through classroom and on-the-job training or they are obtaining the necessary experience working with journey-level Carpenters to competently demonstrate:
Theories, practices, tools and materials of carpentry and their application to building construction, finish carpentry improvement, maintenance and repair work, State and local building codes and other regulations for all phases of new building construction, renovation, remodeling and facility improvements related to carpentry, the installation of a variety of floor, wall and ceiling materials providing structural and interior integrity and quality, the installation of drywall and similar materials, doors and windows of various sizes and configurations, the construction of concrete forms, pouring and finishing concrete surfaces necessary to support and complete carpentry projects, the coating of rough, finished and assembled articles with different carpentry and masonry related finishes and on varied materials, safety practices and regulations for operating mechanical and electrical equipment, as well as, assisting in the appropriate storage and disposal of hazardous materials and waste specific to the craft being performed.
Required Skills and Abilities to: Interpret instructions, manuals, operating and maintenance procedures and specifications related to carpentry and masonry, use and maintain electrical/mechanical, pneumatic and hydraulic tools and equipment normally and traditionally used in the carpentry and masonry trades in both a shop and field environment, and understand, read and interpret blueprints, schematics and drawings of new construction/building and renovation plans necessary to build, remodel, and repair structures or interior carpentry component systems, State and local building codes and other regulations for all phases of new building construction, renovation, remodeling and facility improvements related to carpentry.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES and REGISTRATIONS REQUIREMENTS
Employees in this position may be required to obtain and maintain the following certifications, licensing and registrations:
*Valid Driver's license from state of residency equivalent to a California Class A, B, and/or C with appropriate commercial license endorsements (This position requires a Class C at time of application).
* Certificate for power/powder actuated tools
* Crane Certification
* Man lift certification
* Forklift certification
Job Related Selection Criteria:
75% Technical Skills and Knowledge - basic knowledge in the carpenter's field including tools of the trade and mechanical . . . To apply for this position, please copy and paste the following link into your browser address bar: http://www.respondhr.com/60536351