Sr. Web Editor, CountryLiving.com/WomansDay.com at THE HEARST CORPORATION
Posted in Writing/Editing 30+ days ago.
This job brought to you by eQuest
Location: New York, New York
We are seeking a strategic online editor with a deep understanding of analytics and SEO to help manage the search and Google News strategy of WomansDay.com and CountryLiving.com. The ideal candidate is a search strategy expert with senior-level management experience, who is also a snappy writer with a well-honed taste level who can package and illustrate concepts in highly visual and service-packed ways.
The Senior Web Editor will work alongside the Site Director and Deputy Editor to implement search optimization strategies to increase traffic across target categories. Under the direction of the Site Director, the Senior Editor will manage the day-to-day writing, editing and assigning of all SEO-driven web content, packaged to help readers get the information they’re looking for in a fun and engaging way.
The Senior Web Editor’s daily duties may include the following:
- Track SEO content performance using tools including Google Analytics to develop future programming strategies and expand the audience of WomansDay.com and CountryLiving.com with a particular eye to growth in search. Will also work closely with HDM’s SEO team to strategize and pre-plan around major holidays and events.
- Help organize and maintain the SEO lineup, assigning stories and updates to in-house and freelance writer/editors to fill content gaps and improve story reach. Work with the Site Director to plan short- and long-term site programming.
- Maintain style guides and ensure that all standards are maintained across SEO content.
- Top-edit all new and updated SEO content, guiding the work of in-house editors as well as freelance writers to ensure published content meets deadlines and brand standards.
- Personally writing and building or updating 3-5 original search-optimized pieces of content daily around some of the sites’ core topics.
- Monitor content to keep the site current, ensuring prompt elimination of technical or content errors, and updating content that needs to be refreshed.
- Partnering with the photo and video editors and designers to develop dynamic photos, graphics and multimedia elements as needed.
- At least 7 years as an editor, with a minimum of 4-5 years working in a fast-paced digital environment, with a focus on editing, writing, and daily programming across various web platforms including newsletters
- Deep familiarity with Google/ SEO strategy & best practices for optimizing content for the web Background in producing women’s service and lifestyle content for an online property
- Strong sense of visual design
- Understands the difference between a strong SEO headline and a strong social headline
- Experience managing a team and planning content strategy
- Good judgment as to what works to drive audience and engagement in digital media
- Creative thinker willing to push the envelope and bring fresh, innovative ideas to life. Open to experimenting with content types and using analytics to switch up strategy when something is not working.
- Analytics obsessive who is well versed in using Facebook Insights, Crowdtangle, Adobe Analytics, Chartbeat, and/or Google Analytics
- Knowledge of photo-editing and graphic design platforms is s plus