Posted in Design 30+ days ago.
This job brought to you by eQuest
Location: Mebane, North Carolina
Jabil offers competitive compensation, a comprehensive benefits program, and a supportive environment that provides learning and career development opportunities. Jabil is an equal opportunity employer.
The posted position is for a Lead Design Engineer within the Packaging division of Jabil. The hired individual will report into the Operations Engineering division of the business. The team will rely on the individual’s expertise of plastic part design and engineering. Additionally, the expectation will be that the Lead Design Engineer’s contributions is directed towards all functions of applications development including product innovation, product design, prototyping, optimal selection of manufacturing method, early-stage product testing, and technology exploration. In general, the expectations are for the Lead Design Engineer to have a leader’s voice within a project team to progress applications through product development and into production. As a Lead, you will be expected to demonstrate a level of expertise in plastics design which matches or exceeds the expectations of our customers. You will be consulted on technical requirements and competencies needed during quoting as well as oversee design progressions during product developments. The employee must be self-motivated, responsible, and capable of working independently.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Meet the requirements of a Lead Engineer with a plastics design expertise
-Is expected to contribute as a leader on design, development, technology selection, prototyping, product testing, etc.
- Would be considered a SME (Subject Matter Expert) in their field of competency.
- Will represent Jabil Design Services in technical customer discussions/meetings.
- Work with Project Managers in the quoting process.
- Create presentation materials with attention to detail on format, flow, and aesthetics
- Present findings and concepts both internally as well as to customers
- Provide technical input to help identify and solve project risks that may affect overall project plans and schedules.
- Is expected to support the development and utilization of processes for design.
- Able to provide Design For Manufacturing (DFM) and Fit, Form and Function feedback on designs in collaborative environments
- Able to read, interpret, challenge, and incorporate the results of a MoldFlow analysis. The ability to conduct MoldFlow analysis is a considered a plus
- At the appropriate process phase gates, drive the delivery of a complete design package to be entered into our PDM system consisting of requirements and design documentation, databases, BOM’s, etc.
- Lead all elements of design engineering including design reviews, design verification requirement & Spec developments and implementation.
- Mentoring Sr Design Engineers and below.
- Provide onsite technical support for all manufacturing builds including engineering prototypes, NPI & production releases.
- Stay abreast of the latest technology and techniques to provide designs that are competitive and cost effective.
- Accompany the Business Development teams to on-site customer meetings
- Support management in identifying internal and external resources to support product development.
- Effectively consult on multiple projects in parallel
- May perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Education & Experience Requirements
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering from an accredited four-year college or university.
- Plus a minimum of 5 - 10 years of related experience and/or training.
- Minimum of 2 years experience as a Lead Engineer for with a plastics focus
- Specific requirements as defined by the market sector.
- Or an equivalent combination of education, training or experience.
- Domestic and/or International, up to 25%
Successful applicants will have to fulfill all prerequisites for contracts. This position requires U.S. citizenship. Jabil is an equal opportunity employer.