Technician Lead (CAT Equipment) at Nebraska Machinery Company
Posted in Automotive 30+ days ago.
This job brought to you by eQuest
Location: Omaha, Nebraska
Company: NMC Group
Title: Technician Lead (CAT Equipment)
Location: Omaha, NE
NMC has served customers with equipment and service solutions since 1938. Today, our company remains customer-focused by providing a comprehensive line of product sales, parts, rental and services vital to the construction, power generation, material handling, on-highway truck, agriculture and railroad industries. Whether it’s Caterpillar equipment or another leading equipment manufacturer, NMC continually forges new solutions to meet the changing needs of its customers. NMC continues to take pride in developing strong relationships with customers and our employees. These personal connections cultivate growth and success – and they are the strength of NMC. It is this strength which will move NMC into tomorrow.
This job is responsible is responsible for overseeing the shop in the absence of the Service Manager / Branch Manager, as well as repairing and maintaining equipment serviced by NMC.
ESSENTIAL/PRIMARY JOB DUTIES
- Acts on behalf of the Manager of Service in his/her absence for the purpose of supervising staff.
- Manages workflow and productivity of lower-level technicians in location, assisting the team with the day-today work direction to ensure that company and customer operational standards are met.
- Works Closely with Branch Manager to coordinate and develop skills for lower-level technicians by providing critical support to the department to help grow the branch revenue and profit.
- Prepares all required forms and reports, such as work orders, warranty information and SIMS reports, charges out time, documents expenses and purchase orders, ensuring accuracy of detail daily. Orders and returns needed parts via service order via appropriate method.
- Inspects, diagnoses, troubleshoots, services and repairs customer machines. References service manuals, diagnostic software and parts books to determine problems/malfunctions and to verify repair specifications and parts needed. Verifies warranty information for parts still under warranty and handles return of core and remanufactured parts. Performs failure analysis on all equipment including engines, electrical systems, hydraulics, transmission, power train, brakes, steering and electronic/computer applications.
- Follows all safety policies and procedures, including contamination control and HAZMAT rules and regulations. Reports potentially unsafe conditions. Uses equipment and materials properly. Attends safety meetings as required. Maintains tools in good working order as per MSHA and OSHA regulations. Maintains a clean work area in accordance to contamination control and NMC standards.
- May perform other duties as required and assigned.
Additional Tasks/Secondary Job Functions, if applicable
- Expected to perform more complex repairs.
- Train, coach, assist, motivate, lead and direct other technician in performance of job duties.
- Responds to unusual and more difficult customer complaints.
- Reviews data retrieved during diagnostic steps to work up detailed, accurate and cost effective quotes and pricing estimates and parts orders.
- Participates in all job-related training and applicable development classes to maintain current knowledge base on machines serviced by NMC.
- Performs preventative maintenance work on customer machines according to guidelines as needed.
- Performs pre- and post-delivery inspection on machines prior to delivery to customer as needed.
Education and Experience:
- High School diploma or equivalent required and 2-3 years of experience working in a similar role preferred.
- Experience diagnosing and repairing equipment
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of and ability to regularly use: Hand wrenches, grease guns, hammers, impact tools, air tools, torque wrenches, screw drivers, basic measuring tools, overhead hoists, slings and chains, electrical testing equipment, hydraulic test equipment and numerous other specialized testing and adjusting equipment. Most often the employee must furnish the majority of the above tools.
- Ability to read and understand parts books, service manuals and electrical/hydraulic schematics.
- Ability to troubleshoot and diagnose machine issues and completely perform technical task at hand.
- Ability to operate a forklift.
- Ability to utilize proper bending, lifting, stooping, pushing, pulling, climbing, dismounting and three-points of contact techniques.
- Ability to maintain an acceptable driving record to operate all types of equipment, such as telehandlers, lifts, loaders, mini-excavators, etc., being repaired.
- Ability to work well as a team member.
- Ability to write meaningful and legible service reports and work orders.
- Ability to react well under pressure.
- Ability to operate various pieces of equipment to ensure repair results in functioning machine.
- Ability to work overtime as needed.
- Ability to demonstrate effective coaching, counseling, and teaching in a learning environment.
- Skills in effective customer service and verbal, listening and written communication to consult with customers, understand issues and recommend solutions.
- Basic PC skills required in Microsoft Word and Outlook.
NMC is an equal opportunity employer and affords equal opportunity to all applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information or membership in any class protected by applicable local, state or federal law.