Posted in Other 30+ days ago.
Type: Full Time
Location: Parker Dam, California
The Water System Operations Group, Conveyance and Distribution Section, Desert Region Unit has six (6) openings for Operation and Maintenance Assistants at our desert facilities in Southern California. These are recurrent positions that are hired for an indefinite period of time on an irregular basis, such as intermittent, emergency, or on-call.
These are entry-level positions that are responsible for performing general maintenance duties relating to building and grounds maintenance, general labor and custodial, storekeeping, and food services.
Duties include, but are not limited to: providing janitorial maintenance for the Desert Region kitchens and dormitories, guest lodge, and assembly areas; assisting in food preparation and serving meals in the Desert Region kitchens and dining halls; providing assistance to other Desert Region teams on as assigned basis, (which may include mail delivery and pick-up; transporting parts, tools and equipment; general administrative duties; washing vehicles and equipment; and other related duties. May be required to occasionally work at Desert Region facilities other than the facility to which they are assigned.
As a condition of employment, a successful candidate is required to work a minimum of two weekends a month during the busy season, typically September through June, provided they are offered at least that many assignments.
1. Checks tools and equipment in and out using designated tool-tracking system; coordinates the maintenance and repair of tools and equipment; organizes tool crib and maintains appropriate inventory levels based on demand; performs material pick-up and delivery; performs material kitting and staging.
2. Picks up, sorts, and delivers mail, packages, and freight.
3. Cleans facilities, vehicles and watercraft; and assists with routine operations and maintenance.
4. Transports tools, parts, and equipment.
5. Assists with general administrative duties, which may include filing and data entry.
6. Assists with kitchen and lodge operations including food preparation, serving, and clean-up.
7. Operates vehicles, forklifts, scissor lift, or light equipment.
8. May perform traffic control duties such as flagging.
9. Assists with grounds maintenance such as digging ditches; operates relevant tools and equipment.Job-Related Selection Criteria:
Education and Experience: High school diploma or high school equivalency certificate.
Required Knowledge of: Current office technology and equipment.
Required Skills and Abilities to: Problem solve; prioritize and multi-task; communicate clearly and concisely, both verbally and in writing; establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work; work independently and in a team environment; and operate current office equipment including computers and supporting applications.
License: Valid California Class C Driver License or its equivalent that allows you to drive in the course of your employment is required at time of application.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS, WORK ENVIRONMENT, AND VISION REQUIREMENTS
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met or may be encountered by an employee to successfully perform the job duties of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the job duties.
Physical Demands: The work requires some physical exertion such as long periods of standing; walking over rough, uneven, or rocky surfaces; recurring bending, crouching, stooping, stretching, reaching, or similar activities; recurring lifting of moderately heavy items such as personal computers and record boxes. The work may require specific, but common, physical characteristics and abilities such as above-average agility and dexterity.
Work Environment: The work involves moderate risks or discomforts that require special safety precautions, e.g., working around moving parts, carts, or machines, or irritant chemicals; etc. Employees may be required to use protective clothing or gear such as masks, gowns, coats, boots, goggles, gloves, or shields.
Vision Requirements: No special vision requirements.