Project Engineer I at Granite Construction Incorporated
Posted in Construction 23 days ago.
This job brought to you by eQuest
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Building a career at Granite may be the most valuable thing you could do...
Are you interested in the opportunity to work for an industry-leading company that will give you the experience and exposure you need to build your career and personal brand? If so, then you’ve come to the right place!
Since 1922, Granite Construction has continued its long standing commitment to building some of America’s largest infrastructure projects including highways, bridges, dams, rail, and power. Recognized as one of the top 25 largest construction companies in the U.S., Granite specializes in complex infrastructure projects and provides award-winning construction services in mining, earthwork, water/sewer, power, tunneling, rail, highway and bridge construction. Granite also produces construction materials-sand, gravel, ready-mix, recycled asphalt product and asphalt concrete, and is a proven leader in alternative procurement project delivery.
At Granite, our employees are our most valued asset and we are passionate about retaining, developing, and recruiting the best talent available. Our employees reflect our core values: Honesty, Integrity, Fairness, Accountability, Consideration of Others, Pursuit of Excellence, Reliability Safety and Citizenship and we are continuously looking for individuals who possess a winning attitude and share our Core Values. In exchange, we help you build a career that no other company can duplicate. You will be part of a learning culture, where teamwork and collaboration are encouraged, excellence is rewarded, and diversity is respected and valued. Add our award winning safety program, ethics, reputation, and a commitment to continuous improvement and you’ll see that we are building more than infrastructure—together, we are building your future.
The Project Engineer will working within Granite Construction’s wholly owned subsidiary Kenny Construction, a recognized industry leader for electrical power, tunneling and underground services.
The Project Engineer will be assisting with the day to day activities and will be learning both the office and field side of the business, and will have the opportunity to grow within the organization.
Essential Job Accountabilities
- Reviewing subcontractor quotations for scope accuracy by comparing to City of Chicago Task Order Solicitations or requests for proposal
- Attending bid walk-downs and completing job-site visits prior to bid, gathering of subcontractor and supplier proposals, assisting with invoicing and billing paperwork, completing requisitions for procurement of goods and services, and attending Customer meetings.
- Breaking down scope for subcontractor packages once task order solicitations are received from the owner, and coordinating subcontractors to ensure timely completion of scope as defined in issued customer task orders, as well as other work as defined by the Senior Project Manager and Project Executive team. #ML1
- Bachelor’s Degree in Construction Management or Civil/Mechanical/Electrical Engineering
- 0-2+ years in construction buildings/renovation/tenant improvement, ground up construction, civil, mechanical or electrical engineering
- This is an entry level position where a progressive internship or equivalent combinations of technical training and related experience is highly preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Must be able to work within all of the City of Chicago City Limits
- Safety Practices (OSHA 10 & OSHA 30 will be required, training will be provided if needed)
Scheduling methodology and understanding a plus
- Required knowledge of Computer Applications – Excel, Word, Outlook, Project, SharePoint
- An attitude of learning, safety, and teamwork is required.
- Ability to assume responsibility, interface, and communicate effectively with others.
- Writing Skills – Technical, Business
- Multi-Tasking Capabilities
- Organizational skills required
- Willingness to learn, and adjust processes to suit the various Customers.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. The employee frequently is required to stand, walk, sit and use hands to operate a computer keyboard. The employee is occasionally required to reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, and ability to adjust focus. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Subject to outside working conditions. At times will be working around large construction equipment, must be safety conscience.
- Comply, understand, and support corporate safety initiatives to ensure a safe work environment.
- Team player
- Ability and willingness to abide by Granite’s Code of Conduct on a daily basis
Valid driver’s license and ability to drive
About Granite Construction Incorporated
Granite Construction Incorporated is a member of the S&P 400 Index and is the parent company of Granite Construction Company, one of the nation's largest heavy civil contractors and construction materials producers. Granite Construction is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities, Females, Protected Veterans, Individuals with Disabilities and a Drug-Free Workplace. For additional information on applicant/employee rights please click here.
Notice to Staffing Agencies
Granite Construction, Inc. and its subsidiaries ("Granite") will not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than directly from a candidate. Any unsolicited resumes sent to Granite, including unsolicited resumes sent to a Granite mailing address, fax machine or email address, directly to Granite employees, or to Granite's resume database will be considered Granite property. Granite will NOT pay a fee for any placement resulting from the receipt of an unsolicited resume. Granite will consider any candidate for whom an Agency has submitted an unsolicited resume to have been referred by the Agency free of any charges or fees. Agencies must obtain advance written approval from Granite's recruiting function to submit resumes, and then only in conjunction with a valid fully-executed contract for service and in response to a specific job opening. Granite will not pay a fee to any Agency that does not have such agreement in place. Agency agreements will only be valid if in writing and signed by Granite's Human Resources Representative or his/ her designee. No other Granite employee is authorized to bind Granite to any agreement regarding the placement of candidates by Agencies.#ML1