Editorial Assistant, Life Sciences at Springer Nature
Posted in Writing/Editing 30+ days ago.
This job brought to you by eQuest
Location: New York, New York
Springer Nature is one of the world’s leading global research, educational and professional publishers. It is home to an array of respected and trusted brands and imprints, with more than 170 years of combined history behind them, providing quality content through a range of innovative products and services. Every day, around the globe, our imprints, books, journals and resources reach millions of people, helping researchers and scientists to discover, students to learn and professionals to achieve their goals and ambitions. The company has almost 13,000 staff in over 50 countries.
The Editorial Assistant provides editorial support to Acquisitions Editors. S/he receives direction and work assignments directly from the Acquisitions Editor(s). The Editorial Assistant must be able to analyze incoming calls/e-mail and provide any necessary feedback and troubleshoot any problems that may arise in the Editors’ absence. Must be flexible and able to prioritize, organize and coordinate work assignments and to determine the most efficient way to accomplish each task. Other responsibilities include: corresponding with authors/editors, preparing book and journal proposals and contracts, maintaining paper and electronic files, managing all journal editorial boards and websites and updating future publication plans accordingly; preparing books for production for rapid publication. Specific responsibilities per publishing program include:
- Handle non-strategic issues to maintain scholarly journals: office point of contact when Editor is traveling, prepare new editorial agreements for Editors, update internal systems, request checks, maintain addresses Editorial Boards, etc.
- Schedule journal issues and analyze/prepare future scheduling.
- Preparation of incoming manuscripts for production and publication e.g., organization of book files, thorough scrutiny of manuscripts for internal consistency and completeness (as well as supplying front matter material for each manuscript), completion of all internal forms to be circulated with manuscripts.
- Logging of outstanding permissions and solicitation of permissions from the appropriate publishers/outside authors and/or interaction with Springer authors/editors to assist in the securing of permissions.
- Soliciting peer reviews for prospects and signed projects as needed or as directed by Editor.
- Preparing contract material, arranging royalty payments for Series Editors.
- Under supervision of Editor, fulfilling Author/Editor needs, preparing a "before, during and after" relationship with the author.
- Generating back cover copy and book marketing plans for Editor's review and approval (in close cooperation with Editor and product management).
- Acting as liaison between Authors, production department and promotion departments after manuscripts have been submitted to production.
- Maintenance of projects databases for proposals, upcoming and published books.
- Use Microsoft Office software, including Excel, Word and Outlook, plus additional database software, including internal systems: BFlux, JFlow, etc.
- Perform related duties as required.
- Bachelors degree with at least 6 months of office experience.
- 0-2 years' experience in either science publishing or journal publishing.
- Strong computer skills required in MS Word, and Excel; database and other software capabilities is a must.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Thorough knowledge of office procedures.
- Solid spelling and grammatical skills, good interpersonal skills
- Ability to prioritize work assignments, follow directions, work accurately and exhibit strong organizational and analytical skills.
- Must be able to act diplomatically in representing Springer.
Closing date: March 30th 2018
We offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes:
- Medical, Dental and Vision
- Life and AD&D
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Transit Accounts
- Tuition Assistance
- Summer Hours.
Springer Nature is an Equal Opportunity Employer that complies with the laws and regulations set forth in the following EEO Is
The Law Poster: