Asphalt Paver Operator at OMG Midwest, Inc
Posted in Construction 30+ days ago.
This job brought to you by eQuest
Location: Mankato, Minnesota
Job ID: 131597
Southern Minnesota Construction, an Oldcastle Materials Company, has a role in the construction market ranging from building roads and highways as a full service contractor down to servicing private commercial/residential projects. SMC strives to excel in performance, quality, and management. Our corporate background and longtime local presence provides us with all the tools needed to give the owner that extra sense of satisfaction when a project is completed knowing their investment was built to the best standards.
Asphalt Paver Operator
Oldcastle Materials Group/Central Division
The Asphalt Paver Operator is responsible for operating a variety of equipment for groundwork and construction purposes. The career field for “Paving Operator” includes, but may not be limited to, the following positions: Equipment Operator (Grade and Pave Crew), Heavy Equipment Operator, Roller Operator (Self-Propelled, Asphalt, Other than Asphalt), Motor Grader Operator (Rough Grade), Concrete Grinder/Milling Machine Operator, Backhoe Operator, Bobcat Operator, Bulldozer/Push Dozer Operator, Concrete Finishing Machine Operator, Asphalt Paver Machine Operator.
Key Responsibilities (Essential Duties and Functions)
- Drive machines onto truck trailers, and drive trucks to transport machines and material to and from job sites.
- Observe distribution of paving material to adjust machine settings or material flow, and indicate low spots for workers to add material.
- Control paving machines to push dump trucks and to maintain a constant flow of asphalt or other material into hoppers or screeds.
- Set up forms and lay out guidelines for curbs, according to written specifications, using string, spray paint, and concrete/water mixes.
- Cut or break up pavement and drive guardrail posts, using machines equipped with interchangeable hammers.
- Drive and operate curbing machines to extrude concrete or asphalt curbing.
- Place strips of material such as cork, asphalt, or steel into joints, or place rolls of expansion-joint material on machines that automatically insert material.
- Light burners or start heating units of machines, and regulate screed temperatures and asphalt flow rates.
- Fill tanks, hoppers, or machines with paving materials.
- Operate oil distributors, loaders, chip spreaders, dump trucks, and snow plows.
- Install dies, cutters, and extensions to screeds onto machines, using hand tools.
- Operate machines that clean or cut expansion joints in concrete or asphalt and that rout out cracks in pavement.
- Inspect, clean, maintain, and repair equipment, using mechanics' hand tools, or report malfunctions to supervisors.
- Assist with shoveling blacktop, controling traffic, setting up and tearing down equipment, coordinating truck dumping, etc.
- Regular and predictable attendance at assigned times is required.
- Other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
- Minimum of a high school diploma or general education degree (GED) required.
- Minimum of 1 year experience and/or training in a related field; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum of 3 years of road construction experience preferred.
- Must be 18 years in age or older.
- Must pass pre-employment physical, drug screen and criminal background check.
- Must maintain current driver’s license that meets state requirements, i.e., CDL, Class A and/or B Driver with possible hazmat and tanker endorsements.
- Strict adherence to safety requirements and procedures as outlined in the Employee Handbook.
- Willingness to work in a team environment and assist co-workers or supervisors with other duties as required.
- Display a professional and courteous attitude to co-workers, supervisors, and the general public at all times.
- Must be willing to travel and work away from home when required.
- Must be willing to work nights and weekends when necessary; some overnight travel may be required.
- Individuals are required to wear personal protective equipment (PPE) in designated operations and production areas as stated by OSHA and/or MSHA. Protective equipment that may be required, but not limited to, for this position is: Face Shield, Safety (hard toe) Shoes, and Coveralls.
- Compliance with all OSHA and/or MSHA regulations.
- Knowledge of aggregate sizes and classifications.
- Ability to operate equipment safely and efficiently under a variety of working conditions.
- Ability to understand and follow verbal and written instructions.
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment as well as being able to work independently with attention to detail.
- Ability to operate heavy and complex equipment requiring skill and the exercise of independent judgment.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- The employee is frequently required to sit, climb, and use hands to signal and handle equipment.
- The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, crawl, kneel, bend, and reach with hands and arms above their shoulders.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision and depth perception.
- Must be able to exert up to 10-20 lbs. constantly to move objects, 25-50 lbs. of force frequently, and 50-100 lbs. of force occasionally.
- Able to work in all weather conditions.
- While performing the duties of the job, the employee may be occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles and toxic or caustic chemicals.
- The employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts; high, precarious places; outside weather conditions; and risk of electrical shock or burn.
- The noise level in some areas of the work environment may be loud, but is typically moderate.
The statements included in this job description are not intended to be all-inclusive. They represent typical elements and criteria necessary to successfully perform the job. Other duties may be assigned as required. Requirements for this job are subject to modification by the Company and its designees, and reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
What Oldcastle Offers You
- A culture that values opportunity for growth, development and internal promotion
- Highly competitive base pay
- Comprehensive medical, dental and disability benefits programs
- Group retirement savings program
- Health and wellness programs
Oldcastle has a long and proud heritage as one of North America’s largest corporations. We are a proud reflection of the hundreds of family businesses, local and regional companies and mid to large sized enterprises that together form the Oldcastle family. Oldcastle operates with a decentralized, diversified structure, letting you work in a small company environment while having the career opportunities of a large enterprise.
Oldcastle is a great place to grow! If you’re up for a rewarding challenge, we invite you to take the first step and apply today! Please complete your online application and profile which will be sent directly to the appropriate Hiring Manager. Thank you for your interest in the Oldcastle family!
Southern Minnesota Construction is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer.
EOE/Vet/Disability--If you want to know more, please click on this link.
Southern Minnesota Construction is part of the Oldcastlecareers™ network.