General Laborer at OMG Midwest, Inc
Posted in Construction 30+ days ago.
This job brought to you by eQuest
Location: Lakeland, Minnesota
Job ID: 131598
Hardrives, Inc. an Oldcastle Materials Company, was established in 1963 in St. Cloud, Minnesota with asphalt paving as its primary business. From the largest highway construction project to the simplest paving repair, we bring experience, skill, and commitment to everything we do in order to provide quality results every time. Throughout the years, we have made significant investments every year in training, safety, and quality improvement programs. For over 50 years, Hardrives inc. has been the paving contractor-of-choice for major government, commercial, and residential projects.
Oldcastle Materials Group/Central Division
The General Laborer position is responsible for performing various duties on construction and/or paving projects. The employee will generally work in utility capacity by transferring from one task to another where demands are required. The career field for “Construction Laborer” includes, but may not be limited to, the following positions: Laborer, General Laborer, and Paving Laborer.
Key Responsibilities (Essential Duties and Functions)
- Ensure a safe work environment in compliance with all safety policies and procedures using the appropriate tools and equipment for the task.
- Properly follow all company policies and OSHA/MSHA regulations for safe working procedures and environment. Report any problems to the Foreman, Superintendent, Safety Manager, or Human Resources Manager.
- Assist construction/paving crew with various duties such as; shoveling and raking, running wheelbarrow, safely backing/dumping trucks into paver.
- Signal operators of construction equipment to facilitate alignment, movement, and materials with shovel.
- Follow direction of Foreman as to daily tasks and expectations for each specific project or jobsite.
- May be called upon to run small power tools such as jack hammer.
- Digs, spreads, and levels construction materials.
- Lifts, carries and holds material, tools and supplies.
- Assists in the placement, moving and dismantling of signs, barricades, cones and other traffic control devices.
- Regular and predictable attendance at assigned times is required.
- Other duties as may be assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
- High school diploma or General Education Degree GED is preferred.
- Previous related experience in the construction field.
- Must be 18 years in age or older.
- Must pass pre-employment physical, drug screen and criminal background check.
- Strict adherence to safety requirements and procedures as outlined in the Employee Handbook.
- Willingness to work in a team environment and assist co-workers or supervisors with other duties as required.
- Must be willing to travel and work away from home when required.
- Must be willing to work nights and weekends when necessary.
- Individuals are required to wear personal protective equipment (PPE) in designated operations and production areas as stated by OSHA and/or MSHA. Protective equipment that may be required, but not limited to, for this position is: Face Shield, Safety (hard toe) Shoes, and Coveralls.
- Compliance with all OSHA and/or MSHA regulations.
- Knowledge of materials, methods, and tools involved in construction and paving.
- Ability to read, write and do basic mathematical calculations.
- Ability to understand and follow verbal and written instructions.
- Ability to effectively communicate verbally and in writing.
- Ability to use equipment and tools properly and safely.
- CDL preferred but not required.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Able to stand, walk, use hands and fingers to manipulate objects or controls, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, talk and hear.
- Vision abilities (with correction) include close, distance, peripheral, depth, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Able to work in all weather conditions.
- The employee is frequently required to sit, climb, and use hands.
- The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, crawl, kneel, bend, and reach with hand and arms above their shoulders.
- Must be able to exert 10-20 lbs. constantly to move objects, 25-50 lbs. of force frequently, and 50-100 lbs. of force occasionally.
- While performing the duties of the job, the employee may be occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles and toxic or caustic chemicals.
- The employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts; high, precarious places; outside weather conditions; and risk of electrical shock or burn.
- The noise level in some areas of the work environment may be loud, but is typically moderate.
The statements included in this job description are not intended to be all-inclusive. They represent typical elements and criteria necessary to successfully perform the job. Other duties may be assigned as required. Requirements for this job are subject to modification by the Company and its designees, and reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
What Oldcastle Offers You
- A culture that values opportunity for growth, development and internal promotion
- Highly competitive base pay
- Comprehensive medical, dental and disability benefits programs
- Group retirement savings program
- Health and wellness programs
Oldcastle has a long and proud heritage as one of North America’s largest corporations. We are a proud reflection of the hundreds of family businesses, local and regional companies and mid to large sized enterprises that together form the Oldcastle family. Oldcastle operates with a decentralized, diversified structure, letting you work in a small company environment while having the career opportunities of a large enterprise.
Oldcastle is a great place to grow! If you’re up for a rewarding challenge, we invite you to take the first step and apply today! Please complete your online application and profile which will be sent directly to the appropriate Hiring Manager. Thank you for your interest in the Oldcastle family!
American Concrete Products is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer.
EOE/Vet/Disability--If you want to know more, please click on this link.
American Concrete Products is part of the Oldcastlecareers™ network.