Asphalt Paving Foreman - Southern Division at The Shelly Company
Posted in Construction 30+ days ago.
This job brought to you by eQuest
Location: Thornville, Ohio
Job ID: 131477
The Shelly Company (part of Oldcastle Inc.) is a vertically integrated supplier of aggregates, asphalt, ready mix concrete and paving services throughout the state of Ohio. Our commitment to quality drives us to use the most modern, efficient and environmentally friendly technology in our industry. The Shelly Company is known throughout the industry for innovation, quality and for our commitment to safety.
The foreman is a supervisory position that manages a crew in the field. The foreman is responsible for crew and jobsite safety, project quality, and efficient production. The position also requires effective communication with owners, customers, and consultants as well as material plant, QC, and operations personnel
Key Responsibilities (Essential Duties and Functions)
- The duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Drive safety effort to the crew. Ensure proper use of PPE, adherence to safety policies and practices, and lead regular safety meetings with crew. This also includes proper set-up and maintenance of traffic control zones on the project.
- Ensure project quality. Monitor material delivered to job. Follow proper installation processes, procedures, and techniques. Issues are to be elevated to Area Manager and QC.
- Create a daily plan for execution of work. This plan includes start times, quantities, crew size, and trucks. This plan shall be completed and communicated prior to the start of the next shift.
- Communicate daily with customer. The foreman is the point of contact in the field for the customer/owner or its representative. The foreman shall provide schedule updates and agree to quantities performed on a daily basis.
- Complete reporting requirements. This includes reporting cost and quantities through infield and completing haul sheets on a daily basis. This also includes completing safety, equipment, and incident reports as required.
- Monitor assigned equipment. Inspect equipment daily to insure it is in safe, working condition. Issues are to be reported and communicated to the equipment department.
- Police company policies. Review company policies (Safety, EEO, etc.) and ensure crew follows, any issues shall be elevated to the area manager.
- Display a professional and courteous attitude to co-workers, supervisors, and the general public at all times.
- Must be willing to travel and work away from home when required.
- Must be willing to work nights and weekends when necessary.
- Report to the assigned job site ready to begin work at the designated start time.
- Strict adherence to safety requirements and procedures as outlined in the Manual of Safety Practices and Procedures.
- Strict adherence to Shelly Company policies and procedures as outlined in the Company Book of Policies.
- Willingness to work in a team environment and assist co-workers or supervisors with other duties as required.
- Timely and regular attendance is an expectation of performance for all Shelly Company employees. Employees will be held accountable for adhering to their workplace schedule.
- Carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the company policies, procedures, and applicable laws.
- Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Planning, assigning, and directing work.
- Willingness to develop subordinates’ technical and leadership skills and make recommendations for new job opportunities when appropriate.
- Effective management of employee performance through coaching, feedback, and discipline when necessary.
- Addressing complaints and resolving problems in a timely manner.
- Ability to get work done through others using effective delegation, scheduling, and time management practices.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
Education and Experience
- Minimum High School Diploma or GED.
- At least 5 years of construction experience.
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Knowledge of Excel, Word, internet, and e-mail programs.
Language Skills- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively to customers or employees of organization.
Mathematical Skills- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
Reasoning Ability -Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to:
- Stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear.
- The employee frequently is required to climb or balance.
- The employee is occasionally required to sit and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include distance vision, peripheral vision, and depth perception.
- The employee must regularly lift and/or move more than 100 pounds.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works near moving mechanical parts and in outside weather conditions and is regularly exposed to wet, humid condition airborne particles, and extreme heat or cold. The employee is occasionally exposed to vibration.
What Oldcastle Offers You
- A culture that values opportunity for growth, development and internal promotion
- Highly competitive base pay
- Comprehensive medical, dental and disability benefits programs
- Group retirement savings program
- Health and wellness programs
Oldcastle has a long and proud heritage as one of North America’s largest corporations. We are a proud reflection of the hundreds of family businesses, local and regional companies and mid to large sized enterprises that together form the Oldcastle family. Oldcastle operates with a decentralized, diversified structure, letting you work in a small company environment while having the career opportunities of a large enterprise.
If you are looking for a company who values their employees and has opportunities for employee development and advancement, apply now. For more information about The Shelly Company and Oldcastle visit www.shellyco.com and www.oldcastle.com. If you’re up for a rewarding challenge, we invite you to take the first step and apply today! Thank you for your interest in expanding your career with The Shelly Company/Oldcastle Materials!
The Shelly Company is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer.
EOE/Vet/Disability--If you want to know more, please click on this link.
The Shelly Company is part of the Oldcastlecareers™ network.