Senior Mechanical Estimator at P1 Group
Posted in Construction 16 days ago.
This job brought to you by eQuest
Location: Lenexa, Kansas
P1 Group is searching for Senior Mechanical Construction Estimators to work in our Lenexa, Kansas office.
To perform this job successfully, the incumbent must have the following education, skills and abilities. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and Certifications: Bachelor’s degree (BS) in a construction related discipline, or at least five years of mechanical construction field trade experience and/or mechanical construction/estimating training, or equivalent combination of mechanical construction/estimating related education and mechanical construction/estimating related experience.
Direct Experience: Ten or more years of direct significant experience estimating non-residential mechanical construction projects, including large projects (piping/plumbing/hvac/sheetmetal).
Certification: LEED Certification is preferred but is not required.
Knowledge: Understanding of MCA and SMACNA labor units is a plus.
Other requirements: Must be able to satisfactorily pass a criminal background check and drug screen. Must be able to satisfactorily pass a motor vehicle record check. Must be able to meet P1 Group qualifications to operate a vehicle on company business. Must be at least 18 years of age. Must possess a valid driver’s license. Must have access to drive a well maintained vehicle. Must have up to date registration with the local Department of Motor Vehicles. Both the candidate and the vehicle must be currently covered on a personal insurance policy.
Specialty Computer Skills: Trimble Accubid or Quote Express experience is a plus.
The incumbent’s essential duties are listed below. When necessary, additional duties may be assigned, and P1 Group expects the incumbent to exercise initiative to anticipate and prevent problems.
- Estimates Projects
- Reviews data to determine material and labor requirements and prepares itemized lists.
- Computes cost factors and prepares estimates used for management purposes such as planning, organizing, and scheduling work; preparing bids; selecting vendors or subcontractors; and determining cost effectiveness.
- Consults with clients, vendors, or other individuals to discuss and formulate estimates and resolve issues.
- Interfaces with other individuals in the organization to obtain support and commitment to the cost estimates.
- Process Improvement
- Conducts special studies to develop and establish standard hour and related cost data or effect cost reductions.
- Organizes and manages a centralized cost estimating database and a formal process to support cost estimating to ensure historical data is utilized.
- Analyzes completed projects to compare estimated costs to actual costs and determine the reason for any discrepancies.
- Provides improvement recommendations to cost estimating procedures to reduce future discrepancies between estimated and actual costs.
- Identifies cost trends to assist management in cost reduction and process improvement efforts.
- Managerial Teamwork
- Participates in pre-bid meetings and bid strategy meetings when requested.
- Promotes the company’s capabilities and expertise when dealing directly with key decision makers in the owner or general contracting companies.
- Leads the estimators and other staff assigned to his or her estimating projects; manages their work assignments, performance and resources; and coordinates their training.
- Works closely with the Estimating Manager and/or Division Vice President to maintain estimating data, establish and standardized estimating practices, and foster a solid team approach within the department.
- Works with the Marketing Department to review market potential and possibilities for bids which fit the company’s strategic goals.
- Establishes and maintains a collaborative working relationship with the Construction and Service Divisions’ staffs by providing timely, accurate, and complete information and by answering questions and requests.
- As directed, establishes and maintains collaborative working relationships with owners, general contractors, subcontractors, and/or vendors to include providing them timely, accurate and complete information.
- As directed, provides timely, accurate, and complete information to the company’s senior leaders.
- Leadership: When directed to take a leadership role, lives the P1 Group operating principles and leads in accordance with the company’s leadership model.
About our company
Since 1919, P1 Group, Inc. has created a proud tradition, outstanding reputation and proven performance record in the electrical and mechanical construction and building service industries. P1 Group has established itself as one of the premier contractors both locally and across the nation. Offering a challenging and fast-paced work environment, P1 Group takes pride in its ability to maintain a high standard of excellence along with an ethical and friendly business culture. Additionally, the safety program, which includes a full-time staff, has helped the company win numerous national safety awards.
P1 Group, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
See Job Description