Sr. Tax Manager at Medtronic
Posted in General Business 30+ days ago.
This job brought to you by eQuest
Location: Mansfield, Massachusetts
Careers that Change Lives:
As a member of the Business Unit Tax Planning Team within Medtronic's Corporate Tax Department, this role focuses on managing the tax forecasting process as well as involvement with federal and international income tax issues. This position will provide exposure to a broad range of tax topics as well as the ability to collaborate with colleagues in the Tax Department, the Business Unit and Corporate Functions throughout Medtronic. The primary role of this position will be to lead the tax forecasting process for various business units, support tax planning initiatives related to the Minimally Invasive Therapy Group ("MITG") business unit, prepare and review calculations of intercompany charges, preparation and review of intercompany agreements, and responding to tax audit inquiries. This position will also involve income tax compliance, tax accounting, tax research, transfer pricing, and assist in other business unit tax projects. This position will report to the MITG Tax Director.
A Day in the Life:
- Lead the tax forecasting process for multiple business units across multiple jurisdictions. This position will require working with the business unit and corporate finance teams to update tax forecasts for actual results and updated business projections. The tax forecasting process involves a working knowledge of the forecasting conducted by the broader finance organization, how those financial forecasts translate to a taxable income forecast for a particular jurisdiction, and then how the income tax will be determined based on the rules and tax planning initiatives in that jurisdiction.
- Expand current forecasting models and create new forecasting models to work effectively and efficiently in a dynamic environment. Monitor actual results versus forecasted results to understand variances and improve future modeling.
- Assist the MITG business with various federal and international income (and indirect) tax issues related to operational changes including, but not limited to, manufacturing site transfers, intellectual property matters, and supply chain issues.
- Prepare, review and analyze calculations of intercompany charges and reconciliations, IP cost sharing, modeling of tax planning scenarios, and schedules to monitor business unit changes.
- Draft and review intercompany agreements.
- Support the Audit and Controversy group by assisting with responses to International, Federal and State Audit IDRs and proposed adjustments, as well as supporting responses on appeals and litigation related business unit tax matters.
- Assist other business unit Tax Directors for the Diabetes, Cardiovascular and Restorative Therapy Groups on various tax projects, as needed and to the extent work load allows.
- Work on special tax projects, acquisitions, divestitures and integrations with varying levels of involvement and responsibilities.
- Provide support to MITG business unit partners on tax related questions.
- Assist the Income Tax Accounting, Tax Planning, Tax Audit, Tax Compliance, and Transfer Pricing teams on various requests.
- Become proficient at extrapolating information out of the financial accounting systems (primarily SAP & Hyperion).
- Develop systems and procedures that lead to process improvements.
Must Have: Minimum Requirements:
- Bachelor's Degree in Accounting or Finance, or an advanced degree with comparable emphasis in accounting or taxation.
Years of Experience:
- 10+ years of U.S. Federal and/or International income tax experience, Transfer Pricing experience, or Medtronic finance experience; or, 8+ years with a Master's Degree
Specialized Knowledge Required:
- Public accounting and/or large multinational corporate income tax experience, public accounting and/or large multinational transfer pricing experience, or strong working knowledge of Medtronic financial systems and business units
- Quantitative and analytical modeling skills
Nice to Have:
- Strong PC Skills, including Excel and financial accounting systems (SAP, Hyperion)
- Strong oral and written skills
- Attention to detail and excellent organizational skills
- Good decision making and problem solving skills
- Strong analytical skills related to finance and operating situations, along with the ability to perform detailed work
- Ability to work effectively within a matrix organization
- Flexible - able to adjust to changing priorities
- Ability to grow by assuming an increased level of responsibility
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA), Masters in Tax or LL.M. in Taxation or other advanced taxation degree
- General understanding of ASC 740 (accounting for income taxes)
PHYSICAL JOB REQUIREMENTS:
- The physical demands described within the Responsibilities section of this job description are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to be independently mobile. The employee is also required to interact with a computer, and communicate with peers and co-workers.
- Travel - 10-20%
Together, we can change healthcare worldwide. At Medtronic, we push the limits of what technology can do to help alleviate pain, restore health and extend life. We challenge ourselves and each other to make tomorrow better than yesterday. It is what makes this an exciting and rewarding place to be.
We can accelerate and advance our ability to create meaningful innovations - but we will only succeed with the right people on our team. Let's work together to address universal healthcare needs and improve patients' lives. Help us shape the future.
It is the policy of Medtronic to provide equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, Medtronic will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.
This employer participates in the federal E-Verify program to confirm the identity and employment authorization of all newly hired employees. For further information about the E-Verify program, please click here: http://www.uscis.gov/e-verify/employees
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of employees assigned to this position.