Engineer 1, Broadcast Engineering at Comcast
Posted in Media - Journalism - Newspaper 30+ days ago.
This job brought to you by Professional Diversity Network, Inc
Type: Full Time
Location: Centennial, Colorado
Comcast brings together the best in media and technology. We drive innovation to create the world’s best entertainment and online experiences. As a Fortune 50 leader, we set the pace in a variety of innovative and fascinating businesses and create career opportunities across a wide range of locations and disciplines. We are at the forefront of change and move at an amazing pace, thanks to our remarkable people, who bring cutting-edge products and services to life for millions of customers every day. If you share in our passion for teamwork, our vision to revolutionize industries and our goal to lead the future in media and technology, we want you to fast-forward your career at Comcast.
The Engineer 1 is the front-line Tier-2 representative providing immediate response to any customer problems and works in close coordination with other Support and Systems Engineering and Operations staff. Responsible for the ongoing maintenance and recovery of master control operations and certain new media systems including traditional broadcast, TCP/IP, and file-based media transcode and delivery.
Duties include the installation, maintenance, and repair of various types of broadcast system equipment including audio, video, control system, and networking products. Technical support of all broadcast origination operations including master control and live event set-up.
- Basic understanding of ‘Automation Workflow’; recognizing missing media and getting media to air devices from various sources.
- Understand video file servers and their basic commands, GUI use and basic part replacement.
- Basic understanding of signal flow; routing, switching, emergency bypassing, patching.
- Identify key characteristics of analog, SD, and HD video; Identify key characteristics of audio types and recognition of deficient signals.
- Demonstrated competency in the basic use of electronic test equipment including wave form monitors, vector scope, oscilloscope, digital voltmeters, audio monitors, and other types of test equipment commonly used for testing and troubleshooting in the broadcast environment.
- Strong knowledge of computer hardware, software, and networking as related to the multi-channel broadcast television environment.
- Basic functional understanding of TCP/IP protocols, network design and maintenance practices.
- Basic understanding of IP networking and the utilization of diagnostic tools for testing and verification in assisting Support, Systems and NetOps teams in trouble resolution.
- Knowledge of existing and emerging media technologies including, but not limited to; High Definition Television (HDTV), 4K / UHD, Video On Demand (VOD), Streaming / Transport Streams and media file delivery, including file formats and CODECS, transcode engines and media workflow concepts and processes.
- Set-up video and audio levels for incoming video feeds and live events.
- Read and interpret drawings and signal flow identification.
- Create and maintain basic reference documentation on hardware, applications and workflow.
- Knowledge and proper use of the Remedy ticketing and notification system.
- Knowledge and use of issue tracking-tools.
- Participation in vendor and in-house technology training sessions.
- Cleaning and basic understanding basic operation of VTR equipment.
- Task oriented with an ability to quickly grasp new concepts and learn new tools.
- Demonstrates working knowledge of processes and procedures.
- Possess critical thinking skills with some ability to work independently to solve technical issues.
- Work effectively with team members to support a high level of customer service.
- Performs basic research on root cause of technical problems.
- Pursues continuing education related to core tasks and achieve certifications
- Finds opportunities to share knowledge, lead discussion or present research on projects.
- Proactively take on increasingly advanced work.
- Create accurate incident timelines for troubleshooting reference.
- Associate’s Degree and / or three to five years related work experience in all facets of broadcast engineering maintenance including working knowledge of broadcast automation systems, media server, master control switchers, signal routers, VTRs, frame synchronizers, graphics and branding devices, data encoders, display systems and other popular broadcast technologies.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Windows operating systems and software.
- Familiarity with Linux / UNIX based systems.
- Knowledge of engineering concepts and skills and their application in support of our clients.
Comcast is an EOE/Veterans/Disabled/LGBT employer