Structural Engineer/Bridge Inspection- Newark at Transystems Corp
Posted in Architecture 13 days ago.
This job brought to you by eQuest
Location: Newark, New Jersey
Plans, designs and directs components of freight railroad; passenger rail and transit; states and municipalities; airports and air carriers; manufacturers and distributors; ports and maritime; trucking and automotive; energy and communication; and federal government projects.
General Duties & Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Lead and direct bridge inspection assignments initiated from Pennsylvania, Pittsburgh and Newark. Serve as a team leader for inspection assignments. Inspection efforts associated with bridge rehabilitation projects.
- Be Area representative for Regional and National bridge inspection coordination and initiative effort.
- Prepares or preferably directs; 1) preparation and modification of reports, specifications, plans, construction schedules, environmental impact studies, and designs for difficult projects. 2) Construction management tasks. Prepare and submit invoices monthly.
- Staff scheduling to ensure efficient completion of assignments and achievement of budgeted utilization. This effort will include coordination with other offices to ensure staff utilization when local work is not sufficient and/or to support other offices when needed.
- Plans and develops engineering projects concerned with unique or controversial problems. This involves exploration of subject area, definition of scope and selection of problems for investigation, and development of novel concepts and approaches.
- Monitor Safety Program - Daily Safety Logs, PPE, Inspection Vehicles, etc. Direct inspection training program.
- Organizes and develops project team to execute specific phases or aspects of project such as technical studies, project design, preparation of specifications and technical plans, and project inspection. Must be able to delegate.
- Reviews project design for general compliance with engineering principles, company standards, and customer contract requirements, and related specifications. Overall quality and timeliness of inspection program, including inspections, reports and ratings.
- Coordinates activities concerned with technical developments, scheduling, and manpower, resolving engineering design problems.
- Evaluates and approves design changes, specifications, and drawing releases.
- Shows understanding of team management, develops project scope of work, estimating manpower needs, prepare CPM schedules, and tracks project progress. Maintain personal budgeted utilization goal.
- Assures that the project is completed within the allocated period of time and within the budget that has been assigned.
- Client Interface - Coordinate priority conditions with District PM’s.Maintains liaison with individuals and units within or outside his organization with responsibility for acting independently on technical matters pertaining to the field.
- Assist with preparation of inspection related LOI’s, Technical and Price Proposals.
- Directs the inspection of construction site to monitor progress and ensure general conformance to engineering plans, specifications, and construction and safety standards.
- Plans and executes project meeting. May negotiate a difficult project issue with the client, such as scope changes or schedule acceleration.
- Assures the project meets quality control and quality assurance guidelines. Perform quality audits as required.
- Interprets changes in the contract and advises management on needed changes.
- May set up and perform a client marketing meeting.
- Maintain professional, technical, and supervisory skills by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; participating in professional societies.
Supervisory Responsibilities – Serve as inspection staff supervisor, responsible for employee reviews.
Qualifications – To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative, of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education/Experience – Bachelor’s degree in the engineering field (i.e. Mechanical, Civil, Structural, Electrical) and 8-10 years of design experience with exposure to a variety of engineering projects and a good understanding of project management concepts.
Computer Skills - Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Office, and various engineering software systems depending on engineering discipline: AutoCAD; MicroStation/GeoPak; In Roads, Land Desktop, and Civil 3D.
Certificates and Licenses – Registration as a licensed Professional Engineer.
Physical Demands - The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions, depending on field assignments. While performing the duties of this job, the employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
Travel requirements: Up to 10%
TranSystems Corporation - Transportation Infrastructure and Facilities - that's our focus. From infrastructure and facility design to computer simulation and economic impact analysis to finding alternative financing solutions for transportation projects - we do it. Our transportation specialists, located in offices across the nation, are unparalleled in the knowledge of the movement of freight and people, and unmatched in technical and managerial services. We provide full-scale professional services to both public and private sector transportation clients. Plans, designs and directs components of freight railroad; passenger rail and transit; states and municipalities; airports and air carriers; manufacturers and distributors; ports and maritime; trucking and automotive; energy and communication; and federal government projects
TranSystems is an equal opportunity / affirmative action employer and ensures nondiscrimination and equal employment opportunity in all programs and activities in accordance with all applicable laws and regulations. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, pregnancy status, marital status, sexual orientation, genetic information, citizenship status, disability, protected Veteran status or any other status protected by law. In compliance with the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986, we will hire only U.S. citizens and aliens lawfully authorized to work in the United States (if the position is or will be one which is subject to U.S. law).