Chief Inspector - Hartford at Transystems Corp
Posted in Architecture 16 days ago.
This job brought to you by eQuest
Location: Hartford, Connecticut
The Hartford office is looking for a Construction Inspector with:
- Not less than ten (10) years employment in civil, highway, or relevant engineering field of which five (5) years must have been in a supervisory capacity of highway, bridge, facilities, or rail construction activities, as required by the project; and at least five (5) years of which shall have been in field inspection activities.
- Have considerable knowledge of highway, bridge, facilities, or rail construction practices and procedures, as required; the ability to prepare correspondence, reports, and recommendations concerning construction issues; the demonstrated ability to deal effectively with others; the ability to supervise; ability to establish and maintain project records.
- Certifications: NICET Level IV Certification in Transportation/Highway Construction is required, except for those persons possessing a current Professional Engineer's License registered in the State of Connecticut (PE).
General Duties & Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Measures distances to verify accuracy of dimensions of structural installations and layouts.
- Verifies levels, alignment, and elevation of installations.
- Observes work in progress to ensure that procedures followed and materials used conform to specifications.
- Prepares samples of unapproved materials for laboratory testing.
- Examines workmanship of finished installations for conformity to standard and approves installation.
- Interprets blueprints and specifications for Contractor and discusses deviations from specified construction procedures to ensure compliance with regulations governing construction.
- Records quantities of materials received or used during specified periods.
- Maintains daily log of construction and inspection activities and compares progress reports.
- Capable of handling small to medium projects of moderate complexity.
- Has capability to monitor several types of work activity, however not simultaneously.
- Maintain construction safety practices and work methods for compliance
- Begins to work independently, but requires supervision
Qualifications – To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education/Experience – High school diploma or general education degree (GED).
Computer Skills - To perform this job successfully, an individual should be proficient with Microsoft Office software as well as the ability to navigate the Internet.
Certificates and Licenses – <span style="font-family: "Arial Narrow", sans-serif; font-size: 11pt;">ACI Field and/or Strength, Troxler or similar state DOT certification are recommended, but not required.
Work Environment - The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Communication - - Listens and gets clarification; Participates in meetings; Writes clearly and informatively; Able to read and interpret written information; Presents numerical data effectively; Responds well to questions.
- Written Communication - Writes clearly and informatively; Presents numerical data effectively; Able to read and interpret written information.
- Team Work - Balances team and individual responsibilities.
- Cost Consciousness - Works within approved budget
- Adaptability - Adapts to changes in the work environment.
- Dependability - Follows instructions, responds to management direction; Commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals.
- Planning/Organizing - Uses time efficiently; Works within approved budget
- Quality - Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness.
- Quantity - Meets productivity standards.
- Safety and Security - Observes safety and security procedures; Reports potentially unsafe conditions; Uses equipment and materials properly. Able to use and wear personal protection equipment properly.
- Reasoning Ability: Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
Travel requirements: Up to 20%
TranSystems Corporation - Transportation Infrastructure and Facilities - that's our focus. From infrastructure and facility design to computer simulation and economic impact analysis to finding alternative financing solutions for transportation projects - we do it. Our transportation specialists, located in offices across the nation, are unparalleled in the knowledge of the movement of freight and people, and unmatched in technical and managerial services. We provide full-scale professional services to both public and private sector transportation clients. Plans, designs and directs components of freight railroad; passenger rail and transit; states and municipalities; airports and air carriers; manufacturers and distributors; ports and maritime; trucking and automotive; energy and communication; and federal government projects.
TranSystems is an equal opportunity / affirmative action employer and ensures nondiscrimination and equal employment opportunity in all programs and activities in accordance with all applicable laws and regulations. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, pregnancy status, marital status, sexual orientation, genetic information, citizenship status, disability, protected Veteran status or any other status protected by law. In compliance with the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986, we will hire only U.S. citizens and aliens lawfully authorized to work in the United States (if the position is or will be one which is subject to U.S. law).