Engineering Manager, Public API Services at Planet
Posted in Architecture 15 days ago.
This job brought to you by eQuest
Location: San Francisco, California
Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
At Planet, we have accomplished our first mission to capture daily imagery of any place on Earth. The next mission is to enable people to derive meaningful insights from that data to solve problems around the world. To accomplish this, the Product Engineering division at Planet is focused on providing and supporting analytics in the cloud. This involves building the infrastructure to index our rich archive of data for easy access and retrieval, making our data available to end users via API and UI, training data models, and developing and processing the algorithms needed to query our platform to answer any question about our physical world. Our Engineering team is an orchestra of various skilled technologists to achieve this challenging mission.
The Product Engineering division is currently seeking a Software Engineering Manager responsible for the Public API Services team. This team is responsible for building, maintaining, documenting, and monitoring Planet's public-facing APIs and services. Our tools allow users to programmatically search and download terabytes of satellite imagery, order and move data in bulk, and quickly visualize medium- and high-resolution Planet imagery across space and time.
- Partner with other technical leaders to develop and execute the Public API team’s engineering roadmap. Work with the leadership team to ensure alignment of the team’s roadmap with the product roadmap, as well as the company goals and objectives.
- Own the strategy, vision, and best practices for your team’s area of practice, including decisions on tools, languages, and technology used.
- Facilitate technical discussions on the team. Promote healthy collaboration of all ideas. Encourage and support every member of the team to have a voice. If technical disagreements arise, facilitate the discussion towards a solution.
- Review and sign-off on technical design of components in partnership with other technical leaders. Engineering Managers will be held accountable for technical design, as they will also be responsible for their team’s execution as well as on-call support plans. Hiring, staffing, and development of technical skills needed by the team to successfully execute and support these plans in a sustainable way is also the responsibility of the Engineering Manager.
- Represent your engineering team at cross-functional interactions, such as triaging bugs with the Customer Success team, vetting out product requirements with the Product Management team, managing technical dependencies with other engineering leads, and preparing and presenting the team’s status at regular program reviews with other senior leaders, including the CTO.
- Build and sustain a high-performing team. Manage the performance of your team through coaching, regular feedback, and performance improvement plans if necessary. Recognize top talent and actively support continued career growth at the company.
- Identify and hire the right talent for the team. Drive the necessary interview processes and discussions to ensure the right talent gets hired.
- Build a culture of engineering integrity. Champion software development best practices. Lead by example.
The Must Haves:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or equivalent combination of technical education and work experience.
- 6+ years of industry experience, including 2+ years as a manager responsible for software engineers, and at least 4 years of hands-on experience as an individual contributor.
- Proven track record of delivering customer deliverables on schedule.
- Knowledge of current software development and deployment best practices.
- Ability to successfully manage and organize multiple parallel projects and priorities.
- Experience with agile development, setting up scrum and/or kanban boards, and running planning meetings.
- Experience with successfully engaging and collaborating with distributed teams.
The Nice to Haves:
- Familiarity with geospatial software packages, optical satellite imagery, and remote sensing.