Seasonal Corn Field Research Technician - Ames, IA at Land O'Lakes
Posted in Engineering 15 days ago.
This job brought to you by eQuest
Location: Ames, Iowa
The agriculture and food industries are growing fast. With a variety of positions in a lot of different places, Land O’Lakes has just the job for you. Land O'Lakes, Inc., (www.landolakesinc.com) one of America's premier agribusiness and food companies, is a member-owned cooperative with industry-leading operations spanning the spectrum from agricultural production to consumer foods. With 2015 annual sales of $13 billion, we manage some of the most respected brands including LAND O LAKES® Dairy Foods, Purina Animal Nutrition and WinField Solutions. To all the big thinkers, the leaders, future leaders, change makers, hard workers and everyone with a passion for doing something meaningful—we want you on our team. Land O'Lakes is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) M/F/Vets/Disabled. Land O’Lakes, Inc. enforces a policy of maintaining a drug-free workforce, including pre-employment substance abuse testing.
For 25 years and counting, Forage Genetics International has led the forage industry with innovative genetic discoveries, variety developments and cutting-edge technologies. We have been first to market with varieties improving winter hardiness, yield potential, performance and protection against pests.
Learn more about FGI at www.foragegenetics.com.
Position Status: Non-exempt, temporary internship
Position Duration: May - August (flexible start and end dates)
- Assist research crews with transgenic and conventional corn field trials, process and analyze silage samples, collecting the corn ears, and other field work.
- Engage in field plot planting, staking plots, collecting data, harvesting, weighing wet and dry silage samples, assist drying, grinding samples, running samples through lab equipment, collecting corn ears and shelling corn.
- Utilize computers and technology software to electronically record data.
- Pursuing an associate’s or bachelor’s degree, preferably in an agricultural/agronomy related major or program but not required. High school diploma or equivalent is the minimum education requirement.
- Work safely following safety rules, regulations, and personal protective equipment requirements (dust mask, ear/eye protection).
- Basic knowledge on gardening and agronomic crop production.
- Basic math skills, attentive to detail, and able to work without direct supervision.
- Frequently move, lift and carry boxes, tubs, and tools weighing 50-60 lbs., access and utilize farm equipment, move or traverse on uneven ground, and stand for long periods of time.
- Candidates must have valid work authorization and be able to work in the U.S. without company sponsorship.
- Ability to live near the Ames, Iowa area throughout duration of employment.
- Able to explicitly follow directions and proven record of following-through on projects and work duties.
- Manage time and effectively prioritize and implement projects and general work tasks.
- Give and receive feedback, work collaboratively, exhibit effective social and interpersonal communication skills.
- Resourceful and innovative in finding solutions to problems.
- Flexible and adapt to changing business surroundings.