Staff IT Engineer - Application and Infrastructure Monitoring at Illumina, Inc.
Posted in Architecture 16 days ago.
This job brought to you by eQuest
Location: San Diego, California
Do you want to make a difference? Illumina’s mission is to improve human health by unlocking the power of the genome. If that inspires you, let’s talk. We’ve built a culture fueled by innovation, collaboration and openness, and established ourselves as the global leader in DNA sequencing and array-based technologies. Our people and our technology change lives by driving advancements in life sciences, oncology, reproductive health, agriculture and other emerging markets. Life at Illumina is about working with teammates who are deeply passionate about what we do, because we know that our work has the power to improve lives. We’re an established company with a track record of phenomenal growth. Just check out our investor events and presentations to learn about our financial accomplishments. Our growth isn’t just in financials, we’ve been busy hiring the best and the brightest. Perhaps that’s why MIT has ranked Illumina near the top of its World’s Smartest Companies each of the last three years. If you thrive in a brilliant, fast-paced, and mission-driven environment, Illumina is the place for you. Join the journey of a lifetime. Join Illumina.
The Enterprise Infrastructure Team is responsible for the design, implementation and ongoing support of storage and compute platforms that host business critical applications and workloads, both, on premises, and in the cloud. We are looking for a Staff IT Engineer to support the server and application monitoring practice. This position is responsible to help design the enterprise monitoring practice which includes full-stack monitoring activities for various Line of Business applications. This will include hardware , operating system and network monitoring, as well as, application performance monitoring, end user monitoring, and synthetic monitoring for cloud-based infrastructure/services.
- Collaborate with different application and technical service owners to define hardware and application performance standards
- Collaborate with business and application owners to design monitoring protocols that can proactively detect and respond to events that impact the business service availability and performance.
- Ability to understand technical architecture, and to identify the performance implications for different layers of the system based on design discussions, network or architecture documents.
- Well versed in multi-tier web application architecture in .NET and Java
- Experienced with middleware technologies for messaging, caching, services etc.
- Experience with virtualization, SaaS, and cloud solutions
- Experience with various coding languages such as Python, Node.js, C++, PHP
- Solid experience using industry standard tools such as AppDynamics, Check_MK, CloudWatch, Datadog, Dynatrace, New Relic, ServiceWatch, Splunk, etc.
- Ability to provide technical mentorship for junior staff
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or related technical discipline preferred. Equivalent combination of education and applicable job experience may be considered.
- 7-10 years progressively increasing responsibilities.
- Demonstrated ability to manage and work on multiple projects, solve problems, deliver on commitments and work with multidisciplinary teams.
- Strong communication, project management and presentation skills
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills as well as excellent verbal and written communication skills are required.
- Highly self-motivated individual with the ability to work independently and in a team environment.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, learn quickly and master diverse technologies
Illumina believes that everyone has the ability to make an impact, and we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer committed to providing employment opportunity regardless of sex, race, creed, color, gender, religion, marital status, domestic partner status, age, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, sexual orientation, pregnancy, military or veteran status, citizenship status, and genetic information. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at 858-255-5081. To learn more, visit: https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf